• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Octane rating where you fill up

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
So, I moved back to AK over the summer after a seven-year state side hiatus. Driving a diesel, I really didn't take notice , however, I bought gas for my Lynx and was surprised to see premium with a 90-octane rating. When I left AK in 2014 it was 93. I remember getting to ID and was somewhat disappointed to see 91. In hindsight those are looking like the good ol days... IDK, feeling a bit ripped off, especially for the extra 30 or 40 cents a gallon I'm doling out. What rating are y'all seeing at the pump,...

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’m boycotting this thread cuz your IP reports this year were perfectly worthless.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Ha Ha yeah well.... I still peek at the snotels from time to time. I can tell ya we've been getting dumped on pretty good here lately in the frozen north

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
You picked a good year to bail.
Phenomenal riding from Christmas for 10 days then game over for most of area.

Snowing outside at home now, sure hope it kicks up and plays winter for a few weeks.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Non-turbo sleds that require 91 octane at sea level do not need to run 91 octane at 10,000’, but most people do, including me.

I believe 93 octane is much more available at sea level, just like 85 octane is more available in the Rocky Mountains.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Pick a good quality gas station and be consistent. If you see any detonation, you can use a good octane booster...I use royal purple and it works well and keeps the fueling consistent as you aren't throwing different blends at it. Is cheap insurance. Reality is you want to find an octane that works but isn't too high...too high and you get sluggish low end and lost HP. Run enough with consistent blend and you'll have day after day running. I'd say about half my burn downs were due to picking a place with different/worse performing gas/octane/density and assuming 90 was 90 and getting minor detonation that creeped up during a long, hot pull and spun a ring or eroded the exhaust side until scuff/seize...it wasn't the same and impacted things. Id a fine margin. Pick the same 90, or whatever you need, and run just that. Variation kills. I've even gone 93 octane from 90 before and lost a piston because it was less dense and leaned things up. Consistency is key...and if you don't know, a bottle of booster for $15 is super cheap insurance. Took me awhile to learn that and has served me well.

C
Nov 29, 2008
85 octane all day for last 10 years no problem.
Yep! X's2
Nephew works on a tanker (floating kind - not a tractor trailer) .... Lots of marketing bs ....
Think about how many tanks your "supreme" is transferred in and out of before it gets to your sled. Most of the tanks used carry multiple grades (oh yeah on the tankers water is carried in the same tanks as well for ballast) and no one gets in them to "wipe" everything out.

If anybody is really concerned about your fuel quality, best thing you can do is fill from consistent station and use a high quality water separator filter - water & dirt are far bigger issues ...
That's why diesel engines typically have multiple filtration systems to ensure clean fuel!

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Premium Features