• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noobie! 1987? Polaris 340 Indy Sport

K
Aug 25, 2009
I got this sled in an exchange and it looks rough! lol
I don't know a lot about it so here goes!
I think it's a 1987, but not sure.
2 Stroke? Do I premix?
I have put the seat / gas tank in to get refoamed and recovered.
The paint on the hood is cracked and I'm going to repair and paint it myself (crashed too many sportbikes, so I know what I'm doing there :))
Nose cone is missing, but not too worried about that just now!
The paddles on the track are quite small, is this normal?

What I don't have is a parts / user manual.

Could someone point me in the right direction to where I could download a (free) manual, or indeed tell me a bit about this sled.
Never had a sled before, so I don't know what I don't know I suppose.
ANY information or guidance on this fall project would be very much appreciated.
K

Polaris 2.jpg

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
I have an 88 Indy sport 340. Its a good little sled. Not real powerful but it is being driven by my daughter. This is a 2 stroke sled, It should have an oil reservoir under the hood. Use snowmobile injection oil and it mixes it for you. This is a fan cooled sled so there is no coolant to deal with. I would try Denniskirk.com for parts. As for the track, These didn't come with much of a lug on them (121 length). You can always put a little larger one on but it will never be a good mountain sled.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
This looks like an 88 or 89 Sport, the 87 model I had, had a darker blue cowl made of fiberglass. Soon after, came the plasric cowls. But ditto to what Team Wild says. A nice sled, great for trails, and young people or those that need a non-complicated ride. Put over 5k miles on mine w/o issues. Try also babbittsonline.com for parts. Good score, you will not be disappointed. Cheers.

K
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks

Thanks for the replies!
As I said I've never had a sled before (I come from Scotland, now residing in Canada), so I guess this one is as good as any to start learning on? I don't think I'll venture onto deep powder while I have this LMAO!
The track has ice cleats on it so should be good for the forestry roads!
Once I've got it to a reasonable state, I'll post pics and maybe after this winter I might look at some cosmetic mods :D
Any further input to the year would be nice!
Thanks again KBD

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
My advice, if you are looking at upgrades on a 80's 340 sled, save the money, ride it like you stole it, then use that money to upgrade the model/engine/track sizes. You will be money ahead using that money on a newer sled than sinking it into that one.

Make sure you get a good helmet, get a lot of hours and miles on as you can, and try not to get too hooked on this forum(haha). Oh, and welcome.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
How old are you?
How much do you weigh?
What experience do you have in riding other recreational motorized vehicles?

What is the winter like where you will ride?

K
Aug 25, 2009
Don,
I am in my 40's, weigh 180lbs and live in Northern BC, which has some pretty good dumps of snow! lol
Not that experienced in riding off road vehicled, although I am an experienced sportsbike rider (on-road).
Actually just intending using it on trails and forestry roads.
K

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
get it running reliably and then sped you money on gas. you will outgrow it soon and your money will have been wasted. If it is running good, you can always sell it for what you paid and ride for free.

welcome to our sport.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You can tell for sure what year it is by looking at the model number which should be on a label on the tunnel by the right footrest if it isn't worn off. Usually it is the 2nd and 3rd digits of the model number.

First thing I would do is to take the carbs off and dismantle them. Remove the main jets and the pilot jets and physically clean them--don't just spray carb cleaner on them as there may be varnish built up in them. If they are too bad just buy new ones.

Next thing is to clean and inspect the clutches. You will need to remove them to do this properly. The secondary clutch is the large one to the rear. You can take it apart easily enough. Don't lose any of the washers behind it when you remove it as they are for belt alignment. When you have it off remove the big c-clip you see on the back of the clutch. There is spring pressure on it so it is best to have an extra pair of hands to help you or else push down with your knee on the helix. The primary clutch is harder to remove in that you need a clutch puller to get it off. You also need some specialty tools to take it apart once it is off the machine. There are some wear items in it that need to be looked at such as the primary spring, weights and pins and the spider tower buttons. If you have a dealer nearby you may want to take it to them for service. It is not too complicated but you do need the tools which you can order from a number of places. Seeing as how you live in BC I would order the tools from Recreation Supply in Saskatchewan or Royal Distributing in Ontario. Shipping from the US is very expensive for some reason.

Next thing to look at is the skidframe. You can remove it by loosening the tension off the track. Loosen the back axle bolts and then back off the track tension bolts completely which you will find on both sides of the skidframe ahead of the axle bolts. After that you remove the 4 bolts holding the suspension in the tunnel which will allow you to remove the skidframe. Check all bearings for roughness. Grease all the cross shafts. You may want to push them out and clean them up before greasing them. Inspect hyfax for wear and replace if necessary.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don,
I am in my 40's, weigh 180lbs and live in Northern BC, which has some pretty good dumps of snow! lol
Not that experienced in riding off road vehicled, although I am an experienced sportsbike rider (on-road).
Actually just intending using it on trails and forestry roads.
K

Since you do some bike riding you will have a feel for the sled.

The sled is severly underpowered for anyone with experience or the need to go off trail with a base with any significant powder on top .

Your top speed will be around 60 MPH where a 700 plus cc water cooled sled will top out over 90 MPH.

All I can say is enjoy it and ride ride ride !!!

Premium Features