• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Cat Seat going to hurt Boss Seat??

H
Mar 25, 2003
Thief River Falls, MN
Boss making the new seat? Doubtful. It is a blow molded base with alot of storage underneath, only held on by the same bolts that hold the fuel tank on.
The difference in weight is less than 3 pounds, trust me, it feels light. I picked one up at the show and looked at it.
For 299.95, they will sell ALOT of seats. It is nice to sit on as well. Is it a Boss, no, but for the money savings it is a great buy. The look of it is questionable, but like anything else it will grow on people.

G
Mar 27, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
If it were a Boss seat then it would be advertised as a Boss seat. Same as last yrs;) It's an in house built seat by Cat themselves!

I agree, Boss isnt going to build a seat and not make it look like a boss seat. plus it weighs too much for as small as it is to be a boss seat. and at a retail price of 299, if it is a boss seat, you'd be seeing poo's with arctic cat seats next year, cuz thats pretty cheap. I actually think i'm gonna try one, cuz i'm to cheap for a boss seat!

B
Dec 21, 2006
If the contract is big enough Boss will make it any way that Cat wants. Is it the same foam as a Boss? I know that Boss has a patent on snowmobile seats that use that foam.

Y
Dec 14, 2007
Boss making the new seat? Doubtful. It is a blow molded base with alot of storage underneath, only held on by the same bolts that hold the fuel tank on.
The difference in weight is less than 3 pounds, trust me, it feels light. I picked one up at the show and looked at it.
For 299.95, they will sell ALOT of seats. It is nice to sit on as well. Is it a Boss, no, but for the money savings it is a great buy. The look of it is questionable, but like anything else it will grow on people.

Since you've seen it and held it, I have a question.....Do you think there is enough storage space to fit an SOS shovel/handle, and a snobunje (both of which EASILY fit under my stock seat)? If so, i'm 100% in. It's either that or a Boss because my stock seat is way too low.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Gotta agree with boondock (even if he does ride one of those silly long track sleds!!) the new seats are high & look comfortable, but not enough weight loss to compare to a boss & LOOKS like not enough storage (I could be wrong about that though) If they're not too pricey I think some folks will buy one of those instead of a boss though.

Light, quite a bit of storage, and just around $400 bones CND. A lot better than over $700 for a Boss.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
If the contract is big enough Boss will make it any way that Cat wants. Is it the same foam as a Boss? I know that Boss has a patent on snowmobile seats that use that foam.

Patents are laughable.
Hook and Loop system for keeping a seat onto the tunnel(velcro) is one patent which was originally used back in the 70's on Mercury and Scorpion sleds. As an example of laughable patents.
There should be no patent on foam. At least 3 of the "other" seat manufacturers use closed cell foam of various densities.
I had a bit of an "issue" regarding this before.....turns out, if you do enough research there are holes in many worldwide patents. It's just a matter of having the money to go fight for your rights.
Ask Simmons how much it took to stand up to BRP over the Precision ski. $$$$

On that note, A/C seats are a better deal but still look butt ugly compared to a Boss Shorty(which they don't make anymore :( )

H
Mar 25, 2003
Thief River Falls, MN
Since you've seen it and held it, I have a question.....Do you think there is enough storage space to fit an SOS shovel/handle, and a snobunje (both of which EASILY fit under my stock seat)? If so, i'm 100% in. It's either that or a Boss because my stock seat is way too low.

Yeah, you will be able to put that stuff in the storage compartment, and still have room for something else (provided your blade on the shovel is not HUGE!)

Also, FYI to anyone else the foam on this seat is the same foam that Arctic has used for years, plus could Boss manufacture that many seats on a production run? Not hardly. I as a dealer am ordering in quite a few seats, just because I know they will sell at that price.

Hey Reeb, the look of that seat is just like clear fuel tanks, not for everyone!!:D

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Is cat going to make some spare fuel tanks and gear storage bags to fit nicely into the seat taper? A fuel tank with a easy strap on system or water tight storage pack would be pretty nice on them.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Competition drives better product for the consumer.

With AC stepping up the game on seats, Boss will have to be better.

It's a win-win for us. :beer;

F
Feb 25, 2003
New Meadows Idaho
After being at the show in Vegas I can tell you there are a couple things about the seat we talked about. A/C is looking at building a bag or fuel can holder that will fit next to the seat, the storage in that seat is huge bigger that anything I have ever seen, think about this look at the seat now all your extra gear is setting above your center of gravity instead of on the back of the sled the weight is were you can best use it instead of on the tail of the sled. We talked about a fuel bladder of fuel cell that could fit in the storage area of course that would be after market stuff. Also they are making a waterproof bag that fits inside the seat for extra protection. the seat is softer than our 09 boss seats but stiffer than stock. i my opinon the seat will be awsome. my 09 boss is coming off and a black A/C seat is going on as soon as they roll of the line.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
I think the new seat is ugly, personally would still rather have the boss. Plus you can still loose weight. Bet Boss isn't worried one bit.

Premium Features