• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Some Help

C
Nov 26, 2007
I have a M1000 and need to replace the crank. Before i just dive in i would like to know how deep it could get. Is it something i could do myself. I have recently been laid off so i have lots of time on my hands.

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
If you are mechanically inclined you will have no problems. Buy or download an assembly manual and you will be fine. I've done 2 of them and it's not that bad. If your crank is bad remember you can get a reman one from AC for apprx 750.00. It's not cheap for sure.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Like said, if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do it.
I would possibly look into gettin a service maunual, or have your local dealer photocopy some of the more technical parts of it.
Would be a good idea to go to the dealer and see if he will let you read through the proccess.
You will need a clutch puller and a flywheel puller in order to dissasemble.
Also a GOOD tourque wrench and some common sense is needed.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Is the flywheel puller a specail tool from arctic cat or would i be able to find one from some where alse. Say an auto parts store.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It's not really a special puller, just a heavy plate with 3 pull bolt holes and a center bolt. Steering wheel puller will work if they are not too tight. You need to pull a spark plug and feed a bunch of rope into the mag cylinder to keep the crank from turning. I guess if you are replacing the crank you could just hold it from the clutch side, but normally you do the rope trick so you don't twist your crank out of sync. The flywheel is usually very tight and needs a good wack on the puller after your're tightened in.

Premium Features