• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some cluth advice on 06 m7

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Here's my set up, 06 m7 153 rkt head and slp twins, primary has 67g weights and a slp black pink (120/340), secondary is a straight 40 with a team black white, rider weight is about 240 all geared up and elevation from 3-6k. Here's my problem, on the road or beat path on a hill the thing rips and pulls right at 7900 on a hill and 8100 on the road with not much load, but when on a powder hill or under load it will start good but load up and bog down and barely get any track speed. I'm wondering what to do to fix my problem. I have an AC gold spring I was using with the stock pipe but changed to the slp black/pink to get my rpms up for the pipes, should I go back to the gold and drop weight to get the rpms up? How many grams do I need to drop to gain 5-600 rpm? Do I need a stiffer spring in the secondary to counter act the steeper cam or just change to a 36? Not really sure which way to go any advice would help out, thanks.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
x2 on the helix being too steep. That is also quite a bit of weight for the slp twins at your elevation. Twins aren't really a low elevation pipe IMO.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Think the 36 would fix it all? What do you think about the stiff primary? Should I stiffen up the secondary as well? I know lots of ?s I like the twins, they rip once you can get the r's up and into the power. The gold primary seemed to have better mid shift characteristics with this set up but just couldn't get into the high end only hittiing about 74-7600.

Last edited:
S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Start with going to 70 gram weights to bring yer r's down. these things are finicky. Even those few hundred extra r's are enough for the efi to kick in some extra fuel and cause the dreaded m-series bog.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Bring my r's down? I'm barly getting them up high enough to get into the power of the pipes as it is, tryn to hit 8100. Remind me does 1 gram = 200rpm.

Kinda went over yer original post , my sorry. What pipes are you running? I assume slp twins because you mention slp spring? What's their recommendation for rpm? What Ive learned with my m7-900 big bore is that you really mess up the efi when going for higher rpm. My setup requires 8250 for a D&D fat boy on the 900 big bore. Because of this My fueling is so finicky the thing almost always bogs depending on weather conditions and believe it or not slight elevation changes.. I'm going to throw a curve at my setup and bring the rpm down to 7900-8000 and see if I can control my bog. The other issue with these 7's is if you run higher rpm you also run higher coolant temps which throws another curve to the efi dumping fuel to protect the motor. Hope some of this helps, good luck...................

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Oh and I too run the 36 degree helix. Ive neer really had an issue with the clutching and get lots of miles out of my belts. Current 1 has 800 +/- miles. Backshifting is good.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Yes runninng slp twins, supposed to spin at 8100. I think the 40 is too steep for a bigger boy like me. I have a 36 and a team spring that is like the m8 orange I think I will throw in to see if it helps. Also the primary is usually hotter than the secondary, is my spring too stiff??
First pull on a hill is good, second pull can't match the first one and third is worse yet. Long pulls it peters out and pulls the motor down near the top and clutches are hot!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Gold spring in the primary. Use your team in the secondary and grind your weights off some on the underside of the tips (that sled likes light tips with twins).

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Thanks for all the advice. I put the 36 in with the team black orange spring, just need a ride to see how it all works, I think its going to snow here all week so should have a good test.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Here's an update for those interested. Rode yesterday with the new set up in some DEEP heavy snow and it was hot too. Things worked better but am still heatin up and bogging down, primay always hotter than secondary. The dakota performance 66 weights hit nice off the bottom. Riding with my buddy's XP we were mark for mark on the hill and he would get me by just a little bit. The redemtion was the drag race across the lake where I pulled him off the line and pulled away handily. Next I think I will try the gold spring in the primary to see if that will get some consistancy in clutch temps and to find out how many grams to drop to get the rpms where they need to be. Any other suggestions let me know I'm just startin out with this clutching stuff.

Premium Features