• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help replacing secondary rollers

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
I have the secondary apart and i'm trying to get the little keeper pins out so that the roller pins will come out. I'm stuck cuz the roller pins hit the center shaft if you try to take them out that way and they can't go the other way till the little pins are moved. I tried to use an allen wrench to punch out the keeper pins but they won't move! Any ideas would be great. Thanks

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Hit them harder, they can be a bugger. I use a punch that is so close to exact diameter it thinks about sticking itself :)

F

Firecat162

Nov 7, 2008
British Columbia
They can take a pretty good whack to free them up. I use another spring pin same diameter but longer to push them out. Then pull your pin out with vice grips. I have also used a small punch. Good Luck!

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
A high quality 1/8 in punch works well, but they are really a PIA. Then it gets better when you have to get the roll pins out that the rollers actually ride on. They get stuck, and when your working the allen wrench and screwdriver trying to push them out it is also a PIA.

Good luck, just stay calm and take your time! :)

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
After you get the roll pins out you need to run a drill by hand in the hole that the roller pins will be pushed out of.
If not, you will have burrs, and the pin will bind and not want to come out.
I would have never thought of this, but my cutler torsion conversion came with very detailed instructions and it made the swap very easy.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
I used a file to get rid of the burrs and it helped but the drill bit would probably work a lot better. Also make sure to punch the roll pins out from the non-sheave side towards the sheave side.

Killerk - I have seen many of your posts and you seem much smarter than you look in your picture:D

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Thanks for the help!

Hey i just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. I just got it all put back together (now i have the shift assist and the harder rollers) Just in time for some new snow! It is snowing right outside my window actually. Well thanks again.

Premium Features