• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need advice

P
Jan 3, 2009
I need some advice. I found this sled listed below for sale. Looks very clean from the pictures. Anyone have any thoughts on the price? Seems a little cheap to me , but Im pretty new to all this.

2003 Polaris Sport Touring Snowmobile
754 miles, reverse, cargo rack, 2up seat
Extras added: Electric start, tach, mirrors, hood screens.
Included: cover, shop manual, owners manual, tool kit, keys (2)
Clear CA title in hand.
$2,000 OBO

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
2up....not very high demand for those sleds thus price isnt very high. That could be a real price as its a 2up and they are trying to sell it in May.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I need some advice. I found this sled listed below for sale. Looks very clean from the pictures. Anyone have any thoughts on the price? Seems a little cheap to me , but Im pretty new to all this.

2003 Polaris Sport Touring Snowmobile
754 miles, reverse, cargo rack, 2up seat
Extras added: Electric start, tach, mirrors, hood screens.
Included: cover, shop manual, owners manual, tool kit, keys (2)
Clear CA title in hand.
$2,000 OBO

Where are you located?

For a California sled seems like a good price ... with absolutely nothing wrong.
A rock bottom price close to a "fire sale". Especially when you see new ones going for under 5 grand a few states over.

With any sled a little problem can add $$$ up to a big one real fast.

Since you are "new" at this spend a couple hundred bucks and have a shop give it a good look over while they "summerize" the sled.

Last edited:
P
Jan 3, 2009
Im in so Cal in the High Desert. I have no idea whats close to here as far as servicing goes. We frequent the Mammoth area so thats all I really know.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I would ask/inquire a lot about the body shape thats it is in. If you have a bent tunnel/bulkhead or something that could add up to a lot of money. If you go to look at it, take some time to look at it on level ground if you can, if he has it on stands or dollys have him take it off it. What engine does it have in it? Fan cooled sleds seem to be very reliable, as well as the 600 liquid. Take a close look at all the bolts and nuts throughout the sled, you can tell if they have been removed or replaced before usually. Obviously have the sled run and make sure its all good there. Ask him what he has done maintence wise.....chaincase, grease, oil, plugs, belts....etc.... Check the steering components make sure everything is nice a tight. You want the rear suspension firm but with a little sag when you sit on it. Then make sure everything works electrically....reverse, handwarmers, thumb, etc.....

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
What was just said was very good advise but one question can really help. Ask the owner if it has been summerized before, then if yes ask them what was done, Answer needs to include stable in fuel, grease the suspension and fog engine for sure, if they say what's summerizing or don't know what's done IMO walk away

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
With the low relative humidity in southern Ca, summerizing may not be a deal breaker... things don't rust in the desert like they do elsewhere. However, if someone did summerize, that means they are up on their maintenance, which is always good.

http://polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=03SNOSPORTTOURING&Year=2003

This shows the specs for the sled, that should be a 550 fan engine. Do a search on those engines on the forum before you buy...

Premium Features