• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My underpowered Polaris 800

Dec 7, 2007
Saskatchewan
On paper it seems the Polaris 800 engine has been the lowest Hp engine for some time now. When comparing to Cat and Doo 800 SDI engines (same class) that is.

Today I went riding with some friends and of the 800 cc engines there were 2 Renegades, 1 MXZ, 1 Dragon switchback, and 1 Crossfire and me. All these sleds except mine are 121 and 136" tracks with trail lugs.

We had a little fun and ran a number of drag races in a field that was consistantly very firm so no one was subject to loose snow anywhere. The drags were about 1/4 mile long. The outcome was unexpected by me. All sleds had virtually the same top end speed except the Dragon SBA that fell a sled length or 2 behind at the finish line. Whoever got the best start seemed to win the race. I won the final race on my underpowered Polaris. How can this be????

My sled is a 2012 SBA with a 2" x 144" long track set up for deep snow and geared the lowest of the bunch. My track does not hook up well on these snow conditions and would take at least 200' before it hooked up. How on earth could this sled beat or even come close to the Crossfire or MXZ? How does a underpowerd Polaris 800 with a track disadvantage and lower geared not take a back seat in a 1/4 mile drag to these supposedly faster more hp sleds? I sure don't have the answer. Better drive train maybe, or maybe it was the new wrap that gave it reduced wind resistance.:face-icon-small-hap

May be underpower but it sure is not an underperformer.
The intent of this thread is not to undermine what others ride. Just wanted to clear up the misconception about the definition of underpowered. Enjoy what you ride and I will enjoy my underpowered Poo. :face-icon-small-win

100_0965.jpg

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I have seen stock 700's beat 1150 king cats back in the day. Guess which one was crushed on the mountain.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Good report and good to hear. In the area I ride we race the road, we race the lake, we race up steep hardpack pulls, we try to outhighmark each other on powdery slopes all day long when the conditions are right. I've seen the same results you have for two years running now, from 0-85 I pull as hard or harder than any other 800cc sled on the snow, in hardpack hillclimbs the results are the same and in powderclimbs it just plain dominates. Fun Sled!!

Premium Features