• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My ride on the 2moto bikes

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
What the hell?

One day later and all those demo rides on Saturday and you freeloaders can't even compliment them here for all to see for doing what my company was too stupid to do, try it for free!

I can't even comprehend how much it's cost them so far, but I bet my debt to income ratio is still bigger then any two of their staff.

Now there's a competition I can win!

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
One day later and all those demo rides on Saturday and you freeloaders can't even compliment them here for all to see for doing what my company was too stupid to do, try it for free!

I can't even comprehend how much it's cost them so far, but I bet my debt to income ratio is still bigger then any two of their staff.

Now there's a competition I can win!

SHAddict,
Maybe its just me, but the mere fact that you follow 2moto around and are always trying to bag and rip on their product tells me that your A) scared of the product and what it will do to your snow hawk market and B) too insecure in your product to let it speak for itself.
Let 2moto be 2moto and let snow hawks be snow hawks. You dont need to follow these threads all over and post stupid stuff in them. Its annoying to us the readers and makes you look like... :eek:
Cheers and happy hawking...

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
It sounded to me like he was giving props to 2moto for doing all of these demo rides. And slagging the people doing the demo rides for not coming on here and saying thanks to 2moto.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Don't you loath,

dumba$$es for existing, their so entertaining sometimes though!

As Ron Burgandy would say, "you stay classy San Diego".

Eight hours later and not a one, you don't deserve to experience the future of snow travel!

Where's Moonman, anyone?

Pro_Marinero
user_offline.gif

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

This is great! I've been searching everywhere for 2moto info after my discouraging ride yesterday. I posted the following on ThumperTalk trying to get more info and it looks like I found it. I'm looking forward to more info from painterdrew.

I went snowmobiling yesterday. Now I've been riding sleds for a long time (like since Dad put me between his knees on an El Tigre with the pimp leopard-print seat) and I thought it was a lot of fun. However, the more I've ridden bikes in the last 10 years the less fun I've found snowmobiling to be. I get off my bike in the winter and feel like I've switched to riding a battleship. I don't ride snow like I used to so I know my skills have greatly diminished, but I still love being out in the snow and I have friends who are good riders that I want to hang with.

I've seen the 2Moto for a couple of years now and thought it might be fun, but I'm concerned that it won't be able to handle the deep powder that I enjoy riding at higher elevations. Then I went to the local big snow show in November and saw the video they showed plus actually talked to the salesman and looked at a kitted bike. They even make one for my Husaberg! I'm REALLY excited to try one of these out, especially after yesterday. I felt like I was the slow one of the group and I HATE digging out a sled after I've buried it. . I would love to be able to transfer the skills I've developed on a bike and get the feeling of riding out there rather than yanking around a sled.

This gets to my original question. Has anybody actually RIDDEN one of these? Even better, does anybody own one? I don't want some 2moto rep popping up saying how great they are, because I've heard it from them. I want somebody who has ridden them in everything from deep powder to the Cascade Concrete we get on the west side of the Cascades (Mix snow with rain, lather, rinse, repeat). I want to see how they stack up when riding with a group of sleds. Sure I imagine that top-end will be lower, but I don't care about that. I want to be able to hang in the deep stuff, on hills, and best of all if I do bury it I don't have to excavate it out with 3 guys to get going again. I've seen the YouTube vids, talked to the sales guys, but I have yet to hear from an owner. I'm scheduled for a test ride in February but it will only be in one type of snow. Obviously terrain changes over a season so a satisfied (and unsatisfied) owner is the best judge here.

Hopefully someone can help me. Snowmobiling just isn't much fun anymore. I know that there will be some who say I just need to ride more and get better, but I can't match the fun I have on a bike. If the 2moto doesn't work, I may just get a $400 SnoJet to get the kids to the top of the sled hill and call it a day riding in the winter.

Last edited:
P
Jan 11, 2008
Ellensburg WA
And I got my answer!

I flew to Boise along with a friend yesterday to try these units out. I missed the Stampede rides due to a scheduling error, and now I'm glad I did. 30-45 minutes is too short to give these a proper going-over. I spent 5 hours riding different bikes with the kit yesterday in a variety of conditions, from hardpack ice to powder. I even got to experience firsthand how they hold up to stump collisions!

Normally the 2Moto crew goes to a sno-park and hit the groomed trails up to a bowlish meadow. I wanted none of that. I told them I came to see it operate in deep powder, and they obliged. This would come back to haunt me (but not bad). We started riding up a logging road just out of Boise. For you Idaho guys, it's 8th St. Unfortunately pics are limited. I got zero action shots.

Great sight!

IMGP3485.jpg

Me starting out. I was on the 505.

IMGP3487.jpg

My buddy on the 525.

IMGP3488.jpg

We started up the road. It was hardpack with ice. I started out absolutely fighting the bike. Turning on hardpack with a ski with twin carbides is not like a wheel. By the time I had gotten a half-mile my arms were sore and I had some good arm pump. I even bit it on the whooped out trail when I thought I was starting to get it and then I launched and washed out the ski. One of the guides (we had Brett and Gerald of 2Moto, both great guys) said that I turned the bars as soon as I cleared. I'm a heavy bar user on a bike so I had to watch this.

We started going again. Now I was timid as I didn't want to break the bike. That's not the way to ride these. Just like on dirt, the more you push it the better it gets. It took me awhile to get back in the groove. One of the things we had to learn was MORE POWER! These like to go a gear higher than you would think. I had to learn this throughout the day, especially in the deep stuff. We got the first good hill and found this out. While Brett and Gerald screamed up it, both of us rookies buried it. However, the great thing about these is it's SO easy to unstick them! If I had to dig out a sled the amount of times I dug out the bike yesterday, I would be still be up there dead of a heart attack. I have to stress this was NOT THE MACHINE! Operator error was the norm for the day for us. Gerald and Brett showed us both how these machines perform in conditions we were having trouble in.

We moved up top to the deep powder. Here was where the learning curve caught up to us. We were digging, but I wanted to see how these would handle the deep stuff. It's what I asked for. There was at least 3' of bottomless powder. I started well, but my timidness again caught up. Brett and Gerald were telling me to flog it, but my wrist was having a hard time with that. By the time I was getting the hang of it, I was tired from digging. Brett and Gerald had us stop and watch them. They TORE up the meadow! The great thing about the bike is the thumper power. You can blast up the hill with track speed or lug it out with torque. These things do perform in powder. The other thing is that the track is reversible. Rotate one way and it's hardpack, rotate the other for powder. Track change takes about 20 minutes. We were on the hardpack rotation with a powder ski. I would like to have tried one with the powder track as well. Still, on the hardpack side those two were screaming.

Now we got to the fun stuff! We motored on to a different area. This time we were through the trees and breaking trail, and this is what sold me. I was taking this bike in places I wouldn't dream of taking a sled. Narrow junctions right by treewells, down steep dropoffs that flatten right out to level. The ski just rides through the deep stuff like a dream! It absolutely SHINES sidehilling! We traversed a hill where I would be on the uphill side with both boots on the board and grabbing the strap. On the bike, I stuck my uphill leg out and just motored across. I couldn't believe it! It was pinned to the side of the hill.

We rode a little farther and came to a clearing with fresh powder. We opened it up oval-track style with deep carves at either end, just like an MX track. The feeling of doing this in the snow is far and away superior to riding a sled (for me at least). A couple of times I hit a deep ditch. Rather than panicking I just stood up and pinned it, just like my bike. Cleared it no problem. I was having a ball!
Then, I hit a stump. I couldn't have hit it any better if I aimed for it. Flat-side perpendicular shot at around 30 mph. I went over the bars and the bike did a complete front flip over the top of me and landed in front of me. Here I am pointing to it.

IMGP3490.jpg

I popped right up. Snow is GREAT to land in! Had I done it in the dirt, I would have been in much more pain. Brett and Gerald came screaming over to make sure I was ok. When they saw I was fine, they were stoked! Not only was it cool to watch, the track performed as it was designed. I bent the side rails on the track, but these were designed to give before the swingarm and Ohlins shock did. They certainly did the job. We had to do some trail fixes to get the track rolling again (loosen the track, tweak the rails) but it made it back to the truck. Had I done this with a sled, I would have been far worse off. I think that impact would have easily ripped up skis, trailing arm, radius arm, belly pan, who knows what else. $600 minimum. Radix side rails - $75 each. A cheap guy might be able to even straighten them back out.

By this time it was getting late. We had to catch our flight back to Seattle so it was time to head back. We went down the road in flat light, so it was hard to read the contour. Still, I could stand and ride the bumps much better than a sled. Had I had good light, I was confident that after the day of riding I would have gone much faster. However, remember that hardpack I had so much trouble on? The ride down was 100% better. I had the hang of it! I found that countersteering let the carbide bite right in, and the bike just leaned into the turn. I could power out of the turns with the carbide guiding me out the whole way. HUGE difference! I was hooked.

Am I going to buy one? Absolutely. The feeling of riding this compared to a sled is light years apart. I'm faster, quicker to steer, and have much more fun. I can take it exploring places I wouldn't ever touch with a sled. I don't kill myself digging out when I do get it stuck. Sidehilling is a BLAST. Powder characteristics are as advertised, but there is a learning curve. If you invest time in riding it, it will return what is promised. A nice bonus... I don't smell like 2-stroke or have the Klotz headache at the end of the day. I would have been Mr. Popular on the flight back to Seattle if I had gone snowmobiling.

I think this experience was a lot like my CR500 when I first bought it. There were times yesterday I was pissed, but I knew that it would take time to master. This is the same way. I was ready to sell my CR the first day I had it. Over time, I figured out the little nuances and tricks to riding the big 500. Now, it's one of my favorite bikes ever and I'm sorry I ever sold it. The 2Moto kit is the same, at least in DEEP bottomless powder. It can be ridden, but takes practice. In less powder or spring snow, look out. You will tear it up out of the gate!

As far as abuse, RPM's doing this were no worse than woods ride. I would have absolutely zero worries about doing this on my own 470. I was rarely WFO, and being able to pick a gear gives me the ability to pick RPM, unlike a sled. In fact, being able to torque along really takes the wear out of it. The 2Moto mechanic told me that after 200 hours on the valvetrain without even checking the valves, the only reason they opened it was for a broken spring. ALL the valves were within spec. Husaberg builds a great bike and this only proves it (but we all knew that).

Here's the deal. If you like staying in one place all day long with a group and see how far you can highmark on a face, then this probably isn't for you. Wait a little while for the turbo Husa FE650 and try that! If, like me, you like getting off the beaten trail and boondocking, then this is absolutely the ticket. I'm buying one of these when I can get the $$ together.

If anyone else wants to try one before buying, I highly recommend calling Brett Blaser at 2Moto and setting up a test ride. The crew there is top-notch, friendly, and extremely understanding and patient with snowbike newbies. They were digging us out just as much as we were digging ourselves out. Flights to Boise aren't that much if you book farther out, and you really need a day on these to appreciate just what they can do. Have fun, and thanks 2Moto!

four wheelers

this is a stupid question have you guys thought of m,aking one of this set up for a four wheeler a sport like a raptor 700 i know one of the kits already made might work but i like your design better it is flater i would like my four wheeler a little closer to the ground slp made a ski kit for yamaha along time ago

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
That's not a stupid question at all- we've heard it quite a bit from the 4 wheeler crowds.
I think it would be really fun, but we won't have anything out like that this season.
Maybe next year!
Thanks-

R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina
2moto test

A couple of weeks back the Alpine boys let me try their WR450 with a conversion. I was totaly shocked at how well it works in the deep snow! Having just heeled from a multiple collar bone brake(mountin biking) I was a little timid at first but within a couple of rides you realize that the deeper the better. I did do a face plant that rocked me and my son, he rode up and asked if I was OK because it looked really NASTY. That slowed me down , and made me pay attention, and not be so cocky. I did notice a couple of things that were interesting though. I'm 5' 11" and standing next to a WR 450 on hard pack, the seat is up there. Well when it runs out of gas and you get off in the powder to find out what happened,( many different riders riding and I needed the RES), finally I flipped the res and got it going, but now I'm in 18" of powder and the seat is basicly 48 inches high! HMMMM this is novel.
Secondly it will take some time for the hardpack feeling to come back.
Thirdly I think if you had a couple of buds to ride with it would be number 1. Not sure I want to be the only guy with one while everyone is on a sled.
I whole heartedly endorse this product, but I don't know if I have the gusto to be solo with my sledding buds riding sleds. It still is a motorcyle, give it a try and make up your own mind. When tey say go for the powder don't wait!!! Nail it and grin!

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Finally got to try one out!!!

I've been dying to try one out and finally a freind of a friend brought his over to our house the other day and we tested it out in the farmer's feild next door. I definitly had a lot of fun on it and am even sore from working some new muscle groups! It took a bit of getting use to but once I learned to trust it, I found it to be surprisingly stable, easy to lay over for a corner and fun to jump! I didnt get to test it on any climbs or sidehilling but the owner says it does both awesom.

The bike it self was a full size 4 stroke (WR450) and I ride a small 2 stroke (KX100) so it wasnt as easy for me to handle as what I'm used to. Unfortunely, my small bike is not compatible with these kits so I would be forced to a large bike and doing everything I can to lower it. At least the bike stand by itself and I would definitely have to have electric start. (Being short has it's disadvanatges for sure.)

So, my husband and I would like to get bikes set up with these kits sometime next winter if at all possible. The days that are heavy or setting up, we'd for sure take these things out - dont know on the deep & fluffy powder days, looks and sounds like they do pretty well.

We had packed powder conditions this last Tuesday when we rode, with about 12 to 18 of fluff up high. It was fun up high on the sleds but every where else would have just been awesom to travel on one of these bikes. We were exploring sectiones we'd never been before - most spots would simply be impassible in soft conditions. Some of the areas were so tight too through the trees that we barelly got through on the sleds, that bike for sure would have made it much easier and way more fun!

I posted some pics of us riding one - I so wanted to get the bobcat out and start building a snowcross track!!!!!

2MotoSnowBike_01.jpg 2MotoSnowBike_02.jpg 2MotoSnowBike_04.jpg 2MotoSnowBike_06.jpg 2MotoSnowBike_07.jpg 2MotoSnowBike_03.jpg

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Thanks for the props, and the sweet pics! Glad you enjoyed it.

We'll be at the upper Brundage lot tomorrow at about 9ish, with the new Turbo 650, and a few other bikes.

Come ride with us!!!!!

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Oh man! 9 you say - not likely but if I could swing a sitter and get through some business emails tonight..... I know I'd sure love to!!!

BTW - Keep an eye out for a slender silver LG cell phone while your up there - I dropped it last week some where between the out house and the far corner, that side of the parking lot.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Ive sold the sled!

Now We have outfitted a few bikes with the 2moto kit. a Ktm 525 and a Honda 450. The installation was easy and well thought out. Very high quality components. It took me about 2 hrs for the first kit and slightly less for the second. I expect switching back and forth from wheels to take less than 1hr.
I cant wait to do more of this...
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1155324206/bclid1178176715/bctid1466803348

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Alright, I just got this crazy question!

If those bikes are allowed in the park during the summer???? Are they allowed in the parks during the winter????? Might make a few National Park Heads spin. :)

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
OK, give me your opinion of what bike is the best. I was talking to the owner of MotoTech (he speaks very highly of you). He says you need a 450 class, 4stroke, with electric start. Which bike is the best, after all this testing.

BTW, I want a bike I can convert to street legal, if gas keeps going up.

Also, is there any riding group starting around Boise?

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
What is the best 450 for this conversion? Ktm Kawi are yami Speaking motor wise.

how many gears in the transmission is better? 4, 5, 6,

And has anybody ever loaded one of these on a sleddeck? and how did it work?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I think so

Cyclops / motocam will be there with our bikes and hopefully have a booth space. I think 2moto will also be on the hill. Come by and look us up.
Blazer can answer some of these Qs better than I, but from my take the 2moto is a better way to go than the hawk. Im looking forward to riding with some and find out for myself. My pref a is KTM 525 but thats what Im used to ridin

Will the 2-moto folks be at the Big Dawg this coming weekend?

Premium Features