• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK Releases Tunnel Shortening Kit - worth it?

M
Nov 14, 2021
Poland
Hay
I want short my 163" tunel and I'm looking for opinions abouth MTNTK Releases Tunnel Shortening Kit
I'm a little bit scary of this plastic parts :(

Any one use this kit and can tell me is OK?

Thanks

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
M
Feb 26, 2018
I ordered the MTNTK tunnel Shortening kit. I sent it back (Even after I had it powdercoated). Here's why- the plastic pieces are 3D printed and look very thin, the plastic pieces should be made of Aluminum because if there was a problem you could weld them to your coolers. MY research also found that these plastic pieces (or end caps) cause a restriction and is causing snowmobiles to run hotter. If they were made out of aluminum then you could cut off the pieces that go into the existing coolers and weld them directly to the coolers without causing a restriction. The hardest part I found with shortening the tunnel was figuring where to cut the cross piece and cutting it. Pretty much every video I watched on Youtube did not really go into cutting the cross section. I found that part the most tedious. I did install a four foot MTNTK because we want our snowmobiles to run cooler, not hotter!

C
Nov 13, 2008
I bought one. Installed following every detail to the letter. Tripled cleaned everything.

Glue got pushed in and partially filled the plastic holes, restricting coolant flow. I overheated really bad and it also leaked.

Tossed it and welded. Been strong since.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I ordered the MTNTK tunnel Shortening kit. I sent it back (Even after I had it powdercoated). Here's why- the plastic pieces are 3D printed and look very thin, the plastic pieces should be made of Aluminum because if there was a problem you could weld them to your coolers. MY research also found that these plastic pieces (or end caps) cause a restriction and is causing snowmobiles to run hotter. If they were made out of aluminum then you could cut off the pieces that go into the existing coolers and weld them directly to the coolers without causing a restriction. The hardest part I found with shortening the tunnel was figuring where to cut the cross piece and cutting it. Pretty much every video I watched on Youtube did not really go into cutting the cross section. I found that part the most tedious. I did install a four foot MTNTK because we want our snowmobiles to run cooler, not hotter!
what cooler did you install? they have a 3 or 5 foot, not a 4. did you keep the factory cooler intact? have you run it? results?

M
Feb 26, 2018
When I ordered back in September all they had was 4 footers. I put a 5 footer on my 2014 pro. I think the 4 footer will be sufficient especially with the 2018 newer head. And, yes I had the crossover welded back in so I am using the factory cooler with the 4 foot cooler.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Why are you shortening the tunnel ?
I lengthened mine so the flap wouldn't interfere with the 3.250 track and it runs cooler because more snow is getting cycled into the tunnel.

Premium Features