• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*****MPI Viper Turbo Oil Fix*****

W

whitee

Nov 27, 2007
Billings, Cooke City MT
thats great news Ive rolled mine over a few times and bathed the engine compartment with oil now I can get the simple green out and finally clean it ALL out.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Christopher, you have an EVO turbo kit don't you? Not an MPI kit? That kit in the pic looks like an MPI kit.

Well.
I can now count myself among those that have experienced this issue first hand in person.

Was out riding on a Turbo Viper today and rolled it over and sure enough, I get baptized. :face-icon-small-hap

picture.php

One more kit that needs to be installed.

On the brighter side.
DAMN!!
What a KICK IN THE PANTS this Viper is with the MPI Turbo installed on it!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, you have an EVO turbo kit don't you? Not an MPI kit?
Yes and No..:face-icon-small-hap

This last weekend at the SnoWest 40th Anniversary Forum Ride in West Yellowstone I had an MPI Turbo Viper to play with.

Unbeknownst to be the mod kit had not yet been installed.

I was riding it down a rather steep incline when I got knocked clean off the sled by a tree branch and the sled took off down the mountain.

It ran into a small tree that stopped it.

Sled got about half way up and over the tree and wedged.

A couple of us rolled the sled over on the LEFT side for about 15 seconds to clear the tree out from under it and push it over to the outside of the right ski.

When we sat the sled back down and started it, POOF, billowing white clouds of smoke.

Honestly, I thought I had broken an oil seal on the inside of the Turbo because it was smoking so intensely. so I very gingerly rode it down the rest of the way to flat land where we took the side panels off and tried to figure out where the oil was coming from.

We cleaned in completely and it just kept on smoking showing no signs of any further leaking. (that photo was from the moment we opened the panel before we wiped everything clean with paper towels.)

Considering it was a borrowed sled we towed it back into town just to err on the side of caution not wanting to burn up a perfectly good engine/turbo.

After chatting with Matt last night it turns out that it was just the roll over issue and likely nothing more. I should have just ridden it till it burned off the spilled oil. But not being "MY SLED" I didn't know any better.

Meanwhile.
The last piece of the EVO kit arrived in the mail today.
Hope to being the install and review this week.

But I can honestly say, I put 5 hard core 2 stroke guys on the MPI Turbo Viper yesterday and every single one of them LOVED it!
None of them had ever ridden big boost before.!
There is little more satisfying for me that exposing guys to the JOY of Boosted Yamaha Riding!!
Nothing beats PERMAGRIN!

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Sounds like what happens with the 1100turbo. Had it happen a couple of times. Thanks for clarifying what sled it happened to.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
But I can honestly say, I put 5 hard core 2 stroke guys on the MPI Turbo Viper yesterday and every single one of them LOVED it!
None of them had ever ridden big boost before.!
There is little more satisfying for me that exposing guys to the JOY of Boosted Yamaha Riding!!
Nothing beats PERMAGRIN!

I was one of the guys with Christopher. As he said, I'd never been on a boosted sled before. I thought I knew what to expect but in reality had no idea. I ended the day with a different view of the new Viper and the MPI turbo on it, would like to spend a whole day on one ..........

We were in the Two Top area and was headed down a route I had been on the day before but Sunday the snow had really set up and was much slicker. (Is Slicker a proper word, grammar wise?)

After the tree grabbed Christopher I felt bad that we may have led some people into a spot that we could have easily navigated around.

Anyway I am really happy to hear that there was no damage and the engine / turbo is not thrashed!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was one of the guys with Christopher. As he said, I'd never been on a boosted sled before. I thought I knew what to expect but in reality had no idea. I ended the day with a different view of the new Viper and the MPI turbo on it, would like to spend a whole day on one ..........

We were in the Two Top area and was headed down a route I had been on the day before but Sunday the snow had really set up and was much slicker. (Is Slicker a proper word, grammar wise?)

After the tree grabbed Christopher I felt bad that we may have led some people into a spot that we could have easily navigated around.

Anyway I am really happy to hear that there was no damage and the engine / turbo is not thrashed!!!
Alls well that ends well.
We were just OVERLY cautious and didn't need to be nearly so concerned in the end.

Oh well.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Mz
Well.
I can now count myself among those that have experienced this issue first hand in person.

Was out riding on a Turbo Viper today and rolled it over and sure enough, I get baptized. :face-icon-small-hap

picture.php

One more kit that needs to be installed.

On the brighter side.
DAMN!!
What a KICK IN THE PANTS this Viper is with the MPI Turbo installed on it!

Good thing it didn't burst into flames, oil on hot exhaust bad combo.
Tar

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
What in world are doing with suit case muff on with a turbo, I'm new and that was gone with the kit, with the MPI muff the dang thing sounds like a t-wrx suburu and goes just as fast:face-icon-small-win

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
What in world are doing with suit case muff on with a turbo, I'm new and that was gone with the kit, with the MPI muff the dang thing sounds like a t-wrx suburu and goes just as fast:face-icon-small-win

Not knowing squadusch about Subaru, is that a compliment or an insult?

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Not sure but but the cars sound BA and the sled sounds the same, fun hearing a wrx with a blow off in traffic! Mabey I'm just too new to turbos

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
did you have it upside down? You will need to install a roll over valve kit even with there update installed on sled... there update is for normal ridding situations only!!!! I have no idea what yamaha has changed for the 2016 viper model!!! This is still a very soar subject for me. After paying out 20k for a sled that pukes oil out everywhere all season was complete bull****!!!! I have a roofing company and we install Roofs on Custom homes and if we have one drop of water leak in the interior of a house on a 20k roof install it is unacceptable...... and here on snow west and the at the dealer everybody say's oh thats just the way it goes and oh yamaha is going through a teething process and the most famous one of all. We were told that we didn't know how to check our oil!!!! Matt at MPI and Yamaha can shove all the vipers right back in there ***** and puke out all the oil thats left in them which isn't much... I'm not trying to start a long piss storm here, this is only my experience with this sled on this oil subject and how I feel so please don't reply if you don't truly ride this sled in real mountain situations cause if you did you would have the same issue. This season is sadly over and i have learned a lot about how big corporate companies do business and I'm not impressed with a lot of the after market companies and there products this year... I think i would have gotten more bang for my buck if i would have invited you all down to vegas for a Fear and Loathing Episode :face-icon-small-win

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Feb 18, 2015
Mine still puke oil while riding, had it upside down for 5-7 sec this weekend now look like a 1991 sled oil everywhere...
I have ordered a MOROSO 85404 oil breather tank and put it after the air/oil separator (vent line) and i will try it this weekend.
I can live with oil spill when upside down because no ROV but normal riding oil spill for a yamaha no way, my nytro with k&n filkter kit never spilled oil in my garage with same riding style and many roll over...

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I'm installing the update kit tomorrow and am headed for McCall next weekend for a week and hopefully 300+ miles of riding. I'll let everyone know what happens, good or bad!

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Mine seems to have stopped leaking. Maybe dealer over filled it...dunno. I never got around to installing the fix kit.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Fixed mine but never got ride after the fix but it never leaked, did spit some out but when the most snow you ride in is a foot it's hard to tell:)) Still have to install clutch kit and ROV kit and altitude boost kit but I'm stacking wood now, for next season:face-icon-small-dis this was the wrong year to turbo-up:face-icon-small-con

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The install was simple and straightforward. I did lose about a cup of oil but it wasn't bad. Took me 15 minutes including dragging my tools out and putting them away.

Premium Features