• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI 180 Turbo Kit

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
Does anyone have setup instructions for the MPI 180 Turbo kit for the GEMS controller. My sled was snow checked and didn't include any instructions for the fuel controller. I think Yamaha doesn't want us tuning from MPI'S base points. More than anything i just need a list and or order of the functions on the fuel controler.
I have 150 miles on the kit and installed a A/F guage and was running lean at WOT. Matt at MPI suggested adjusting the red mode up 1 or 2 so i did, it seems the help.
I still have a little burble in the mid range when i hammer the throttle, it doesn't seem like turbo lag. My experience with turbo lag would be off of the low end and then hammering it and it would be kinda boggy then pick up and go, but i could be wrong. The burble seems more like a fueling problem rather than lag. The burble acts more like a stuter once or twice and then picks up and goes. It only seems to do it when cruzing mid throttle and then punching it.
I was also wondering if it could be the accellerator pump or a timming issue. Is their anybody else experiencing this??
I'm still trying to get my clutching dialed in. I have the 8FS weights loaded which i know i'm still alittle heavy running at 7000ft but i still can't get it to pull on the top end like it should. All my other clutching is at MPI's reccomendations. 15.6 rollers, 39 degree helix, pink pink secondary, green white green primary. Does anybody else have any suggestions? Also forgot to mention my boost is around 6 to 6.5#

Last edited:

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
No Gems control info in the instructions, but if you go to the support page on MPI's website there is info for tuning the gems for the super. I would guess that you change the setting the same way turbo or super just different #'s. I also would think because this is a Yamaha kit we may not have all the functions/modes available.

What kind of numbers did you have at WFO. I don't have a A/F gauge yet and don't really want to be tuning yet. I also don't want to spend anymore money if this season doesn't get a lot better sometime.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
My setup:
19/40 gearing
Stock weights
13.3 with a hole in the tip
17.2 with a hole in center
17.2 solid in the inner
14.5 rollers but will be changing to 15.6. (MPI says the 15.6 will allow it to rev much quicker)

I am not sure of the springs. They are part of a clutch kit I got from Hartman when it was stock which ran very well. I left that all in there since MPI said to use the stock springs and helix.

I screwed the wastegate rod in 2 full rotations to turn up the boost for high elevation.

At 9K' I was hitting about 5lbs at 8350 rpm. The next thing I will change is the rollers and see what that does.

I have no idea if it is lean at wot as I am not running a wideband.

I am getting the same stumble at mid range when I wack the throttle. Some guy at MPI (not Matt) claims it is turbo lag. I guarantee it is not lag. He said to add to the blue/green (boost fuel) and see if that gets rid of it. That would make sense so we will see.

Other than all that I thought it ran great. Turbo lag felt non existent. I think when I get up to 6-8 lbs it will present itself. It idles very nice. Starts like stock, and appears to be not much at all louder than stock.

I think this kit is just what the Nytro needs. I have no doubt that when dialed in these kits will out climb any of the big two strokes and be rock solid reliable.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
MID RANGE STUMBLE

I too have been dealing with the midrange stumble.....best i have figured is it was way to rich out of the box for the boost it was running....left the controller alone and turned the boost up and it got a little better....i have leaned the green (idle) out all the way to keep the thing idleing properly as it wouldnt even run at idle out of the box. i then dropped the green blue about three "clicks", and therefore went two clicks richer on the red...seems ok but not like the push kit i ran last year....hoping there is a new flash for the gems controller as it is not right :(.

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
clutching

With my experiences so far with the nytro getting the RPM'S around 8800 to 8900 it just screems and pulls hard. I'm confident now after this last weekend riding at 7000 to 7800 ft in heavy snow that i am going to run the stock weights with 13.3 solid rivet in the outer hole, 17.2 with hole in the center and the 17.2 solid in the inner hole. I'm thinking it will allow me to reach my target 8800 RPM range in a hard pull with 7 LBS boost?

Last edited:
A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
With my experiences so far with the nytro getting the RPM'S around 8800 to 8900 it just screems and pulls hard. I'm confident now after this last weekend riding at 7000 to 7800 ft in heavy snow that i am going to run the stock weights with 13.3 solid rivet in the outer hole, 17.2 with hole in the center and the 17.2 solid in the inner hole. I'm thinking it will allow me to reach my target 8800 RPM range in a hard pull with 7 LBS boost?
What rollers are you using?

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
Does anyone know what modes are available in in the GEMS for the yamaha turbo kit? Are all 6 modes available? The instuctions for the supercharger mention that all modes may not be available.

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
I've got the same stumble , afr drops to around 10.5 for a split second, tried everything to tune it out and after owning a s/c phazer I'm no rookie with the gems, I'm gna call mpi and see if they will update my box to have all 6 tuning parameters. If not I may purchase the intercooler from mpi and run a boost it system on there. Just don't think I should have to dump a bunch of cash on a new kit to have a clean running engine throughout the whole rpm range.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I am getting the same stumble at mid range when I wack the throttle. Some guy at MPI (not Matt) claims it is turbo lag. I guarantee it is not lag. He said to add to the blue/green (boost fuel) and see if that gets rid of it. That would make sense so we will see.

Added +1 to the blue green and now there is absolutely no miss when going from cruise speed to wot. Occasionally there is very little hesitation from a crack of the throttle to wot. To me it runs great and appears to be just fine. Now I just need to get the boost turned up and the clutching dialed in. Even at 5lbs it pulls pretty hard.

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
Spoke with Mac today he had some good things for me to try, I'll update after I get a chance to ride again. Pretty sure I have the fix for my stumble.

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
Ok, here is what I got. I am running the upgraded mpi fuel system on mine, I have the fuel reg pulling pressure off the airbox per mpi instructions. Mac believes hooking the fuel pressure reg up to the suction side of the throttle bodies will fix stumble via decreasing the fuel because of the initial vacuum when the throttle bodies open. I will do so by using a tee into the top Port on the bypass valve. Probably won't help anyone else unless you are runing higher than stock fuel pressure. Sorry if my terms are not technically correct I'm not a turbo expert by any means.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
My setup:
19/40 gearing
Stock weights
13.3 with a hole in the tip
17.2 with a hole in center
17.2 solid in the inner
14.5 rollers but will be changing to 15.6. (MPI says the 15.6 will allow it to rev much quicker)

I am not sure of the springs. They are part of a clutch kit I got from Hartman when it was stock which ran very well. I left that all in there since MPI said to use the stock springs and helix.

I screwed the wastegate rod in 2 full rotations to turn up the boost for high elevation.

At 9K' I was hitting about 5lbs at 8350 rpm. The next thing I will change is the rollers and see what that does.

I have no idea if it is lean at wot as I am not running a wideband.

Other than all that I thought it ran great. Turbo lag felt non existent. I think when I get up to 6-8 lbs it will present itself. It idles very nice. Starts like stock, and appears to be not much at all louder than stock.

I think this kit is just what the Nytro needs. I have no doubt that when dialed in these kits will out climb any of the big two strokes and be rock solid reliable.

Installed the 15.6 rollers and there was a noticeable difference. Sled seemed to engage even smoother than before and bottom end seemed stronger. As per Matt at MPI it does rev quicker and the difference is noticeable.

Now I just need to get the boost up. It appears as though most guys are seeing more boost than me. I'm getting just under 5lbs at 9500ft.

D
Apr 18, 2012
re-clutch set up

With 6-8 psi boost you want to be using

8BU weights, no rivets
14.5 rollers
B-W-B primary spring
51 degree straight cut helix
purple cat seconday spring @ 10 degree
19-40 gearing This will be bang on tested and proven.
Also with your boost, leave your waste gate adjustment alone and get a bearing type boost adjuster, this will get you where you need to be. Remember to back off when going back down the hill.

Last edited:
D
Apr 18, 2012
With 6-8 psi boost you want to be using

8BU weights, no rivets
14.5 rollers
B-W-B primary spring
51 degree straight cut helix
purple cat seconday spring @ 10 degree
19-40 gearing This will be bang on tested and proven.
Also with your boost, leave your waste gate adjustment alone and get a bearing type boost adjuster, this will get you where you need to be. Remember to back off when going back down the hill.

Premium Features