• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mixing gas for octane

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I just recently purchased a high elevation high off a member on so west.

It’s a ssi and it’ll be going on a 2022 hardcore 800.
Questions about fuels and octanes.
Bdx told me I’d need 8 gallons of 91 and 3 of 110
By my calculations that’s about a 96 octane rating.

Also could use 6.11 gallons of 110 and 4.89 of 91.

Question is.
Is Avgas better I hear it’s hard on seals and lines.
Does octane boost actually work?

Also wondering if I’ll notice a substantial difference in power.
I’m currently full jaws pipe with tuning
All titanium rotation assembly belt drive and Bdx hood

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Octane boost is trash. You dont even get 1 octane bump.

110 is gonna be better, and should have more lead which helps internals more. Avgas is around 100 octane, and low lead. Lead isnt great for you though as we know. You can also try unleaded like Sunoco 260GT plus. I run that in my car with good results. Lower shelf like over the leaded stuff though if you buy 54gal drums. Both the 110 and the gt plus aint cheap though!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have been using 100llc (Avgas) for over 10 years in my mine and never had any issues with seals , lines pickup valves ect ect..
Just plain work for the money.
We are $3.10 a gal here so it's never been hard on the wallet either for the results you get. and has 1 yr shelf life (unmixed)

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Have you been running it in the same sled for a long period of time? Or is it a new sled every year? That could also be why you haven’t had a problem just trying to get my facts straight is all

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I’ve been running 50/50 AV and Shell premium in all my sleds, turboed or not, since 2011. I fill a slip tank and fill all my sleds out of it. I have never had an issue..

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC
I just recently purchased a high elevation high off a member on so west.

It’s a ssi and it’ll be going on a 2022 hardcore 800.
Questions about fuels and octanes.
Bdx told me I’d need 8 gallons of 91 and 3 of 110
By my calculations that’s about a 96 octane rating.

Also could use 6.11 gallons of 110 and 4.89 of 91.

Question is.
Is Avgas better I hear it’s hard on seals and lines.
Does octane boost actually work?

Also wondering if I’ll notice a substantial difference in power.
I’m currently full jaws pipe with tuning
All titanium rotation assembly belt drive and Bdx hood
Whats a high elevation high ?? head ? whats the compression ratio ?
No better then stock head. Wont notice difference.
Better parts out there.
Octane adders do work to bring up octane levels, low amounts. Klotz hitrate can bring up octane levels more.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Avgas isn't hard on anything. That's an old wives tale. If it was, they wouldn't use it in airplanes!

Higher octane = less btus = less power output. You get the most power with the least amount of octane.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Whats a high elevation high ?? head ? whats the compression ratio ?
No better then stock head. Wont notice difference.
Better parts out there.
Octane adders do work to bring up octane levels, low amounts. Klotz hitrate can bring up octane levels more.
The head is 14:1
Vs a trail head.
It’s possible to run at low elevation but you need to run high octane to help with detonation

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
I’ve run AV in my boosted sled for last 3 yrs . No issues
Lately I’ve been using Lucas 3X booster , it works

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Have you been running it in the same sled for a long period of time? Or is it a new sled every year? That could also be why you haven’t had a problem just trying to get my facts straight is all
In my 2016 since it was new, and my 2019 since it was new, about 500 mountain miles a year generally total depending which machine I run.
Between 2016 -2019 that almost over 3 years as it was snowchecked in 2015.. zero fueling issues. Bonus it has a shelf life for a year.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Just use what is the easiest to get. I have been using av gas since 2015 but last year I went to 110 because the local airport started complaining about me buying it at the pump. So now I am just using 110. I haven't noticed any difference.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I've had many sleds require more octane over the years. Av gas works great and it does not have issues with RPMs, burn corrosion or eating rubber or seals...it's the best gas i've seen over time to keep things ok in the fuel system (they aren't going ot use a formula that eats seals and rubber in airplanes, which are mostly older school carb motors.
I've used high octane...expensive.
Best I've used is octane booster. Yes, it works. I have a PG turbo and if I run straight 91 octane, it will detonate. If I run a bottle of octane booster (I use Royal Purple because it's available and works), it works great...but only recommended for 3 number boost. For more octane boosting needs, buddies use the VP octane booster. VP Octanium Unleaded Booster is 32 ounces for $25...raises the octane of 10 gallons 7 numbers...in other words, takes 10 gallons of 91 octane to 98 octane. They both work, but all I've read is that if you want more dramatic octane boosting, you run the VP.

The boosters also have good gas preservatives in it so that if a tank sits for awhile, the gas is still good. My favorite part about the octane booster is it doesn't change my fuel density much, if at all. If I run race or av gas, I have to adjust my controller that day...changes the density. Octane booster...density and jetting stays the same. And careful on av gas...it leans you out more than standard gas...so you might get more octane, but you will run leaner...seen this many times.
And the best part about octane boosters is that you can carry a bottle with you easily. If you need a bit more octane, you can add to the tank and detonation warning goes away. It's also really easy to store/keep because it's in a sealed bottle...

I've run all the gas types...octane booster is easy to get, easy to use and works. But if you need to go beyond 100 octane, you'll have to run expensive race gas or do av gas mixed with octane booster. Depends what you need.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I've been playing this octane game a bit. Bought a sidekick turbo, they want 50/50 av and 91, I can get 93 pump, the target in theory is 95.5 octane. So I've tried vp octanium booster, doing the math and guessing high, I don't like how vp claims 8 points, based on what? 87 octane? 91? I can't find it anywhere in their literature. It does work though but I Believe I need to mix more than straight math figures.

Boostane. (octane additive) Ive got some coming and running the math I can go to 97 octane for still half the price of even vp madditive which gets me that 95 octane mark. You can turn 91 into 101 octane for 32 oz based on 10 gallons. They've got a chart.

Will see how it works for me.

As. Mentioned convenience. I used to get av gas, but to get it, store it, the additional cost. Just doesn't make sense anymore, carry a can of octane booster and away you go.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Ive had good luck with Klotz in a high compression bike. I think fuel additive gets a bad name because most of the stuff is garbage. The stuff that works is fairly expensive to raise per gallon.

Around here cant get 93 unless its got ethanol in it. 91 is highest non ethanol.

C
Dec 14, 2020
You're not using it for power, as technically the lower the octane the easier it is to ignite. More ignition more power.

However, with higher compression or timing you can have pre-detonation or spark knock. This is when the fuel ignites before the spark plug fires. This causes extreme cylinder pressure.

You want enough octane to not have any detonation. Detonation cracks pistons and bends rods.

So anything you do to get you into the safety zone is fine.

The reason to run high octane to get more power is simply because you can push the timing and compression farther. You still get zero extra power from the octane, only the ability to not kill parts making extra power in other ways.

C
Dec 14, 2020
What do the gas companies use to raise octane?

Ethanol!

Lead!

BTEX is the current ethanol free solution in pump gas. Racing fuels may still use some lead or MTBE.

I mean, VP racing is still a gas company. They have all sorts of blends depending on what you want or need. They also may cost $25/gallon.

This is the reason all the drag and drive guys have latched onto E85, is it's generally 100-110 octane depending on actual ethanol content. They run ethanol sensors and vary the timing and fuel mapping constantly for the ethanol content of the fuel going to the rails.

This enables them to run cheap fuel (but quite a lot more of it to compensate for the loss in energy density) and run the correct timing to get the most out of it.

Then you have the full blown guys doing methanol (119 octane), but your mixture is down in the 5:1 range and 4-5 gallons per mile under power.

Premium Features