• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing coolant?

J
May 27, 2022
Ontario
Noticed my coolant really low on the machine when I went to fog it. I have been running it once a month since march, so haven’t seen any coolant leaks on the ground anywhere, aswell my plugs are not white so don’t think I’m burning it. Is it possible the thermostat is leaking? Or is there anywhere else I should be looking? When I was running the machine, I did notice some steam/smoke coming out of my hood in the area of the Y pipe but brushed it off as nothing as well. It’s on my 2019 Switchback Pro S

D
Nov 17, 2008
Don't know if this is your problem or not but if you are running in marginal snow conditions where machine gets hotter then normaol and then shut it off, often times the water will boil in the hot engine (since water is no longer flowing) and will force itself into the overflow tank and sometimes out its vent causeing the steam you saw and low coolent level the next time you look at it cold.

J
May 27, 2022
Ontario
Don't know if this is your problem or not but if you are running in marginal snow conditions where machine gets hotter then normaol and then shut it off, often times the water will boil in the hot engine (since water is no longer flowing) and will force itself into the overflow tank and sometimes out its vent causeing the steam you saw and low coolent level the next time you look at it cold.
Found out the issue… coolant in exhaust

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Next is base gasket, crack in head, crack in cylinder, water pump seals. Start with the head gasket.

But dig into it until you find the culprit - don't guess, or you'll be tearing it down again.

Premium Features