• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melted Wire harness

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
So i picked up a 02 Vertical Edge a few days ago, it's got jaws twin pipes and wire harness from the chassie to the hood got a little to close and melted a bunch of wires. I've since cut out all the melted wire and spliced new wire to complete the harness, I Checked all the chassie grounds! but I'm still having a problem with the tach and prem fuel light. The tach works great at idle and the prem light is solid yellow. when I start to rev the motor a little over 3K RPM's the tach shoots to 0 and the prem fuel light starts to flicker?

The sled also has the speedo removed for an intake, and I can't seem to get the head lights to work either? At the bottom of the hood harness, there is a 3 prong plug with a white wire/Orange tracer, Orange wire/W black tracer etc. I can't seem to find the female end of the plug in the chassie? There is a white wire with orange tracer coming out of the main harness as a single lead for the prem fuel light.

I not really to concerned about the headlights, I'm looking to delete them anyway for a little more weight savings. I do need to get the tach functioning tho! Any help or ideas would be great!

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
What is the prem fuel light suppose to mean? It flickers off and on on my sled once in awhile and i dont really know what it means.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
If I am not mistaken, the premium setting advances the timing 1* or 2* or something like that so the motor performs stronger (it is a noticeable increase) and when in premium you should run premium fuel only to prevent detonation or engine damage. I have noticed the premium setting is good for an extra 300-400 RPM on a long pull, really wakes the sled up if your clutched to run with it in premium.

Edit: I have never seen my premium light flicker, I think you must have a problem somewhere in there.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Are the head lights still working? If so i doubt your reg is bad, usually if your reg goes out you will blow all your lights.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The only way I know to test one is to put a different on and see if it fixes the problem. ;)

Unplug the harness to the hood... see my note at the bottom about frying stuff.

Find any solid yellow wire and solid brown wire on the chassis. Using a multimeter set to AC voltage connect red to the yellow and black to the brown. Start it up and see what voltage you see... should be at an idle around 6-10v. Now rev up and see what happens. It should go to 13-14v, no more and no less.

Now under the left or right footrest is the voltage regular. Unplug the yellow wire and repeat steps above. This time when you rev the voltage should go way high, as high as 25+ volts.

Note, if you do this and you have any light bulbs working you'll blow them with the second test garanteed, so unplug all of them before testing. You won't hurt the tach, but you are likely to fry the premium light doing that.

sled_guy

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
The only way I know to test one is to put a different on and see if it fixes the problem. ;)

Unplug the harness to the hood... see my note at the bottom about frying stuff.

Find any solid yellow wire and solid brown wire on the chassis. Using a multimeter set to AC voltage connect red to the yellow and black to the brown. Start it up and see what voltage you see... should be at an idle around 6-10v. Now rev up and see what happens. It should go to 13-14v, no more and no less.

Now under the left or right footrest is the voltage regular. Unplug the yellow wire and repeat steps above. This time when you rev the voltage should go way high, as high as 25+ volts.

Note, if you do this and you have any light bulbs working you'll blow them with the second test garanteed, so unplug all of them before testing. You won't hurt the tach, but you are likely to fry the premium light doing that.

sled_guy

Good deal, thanks for the help :beer;

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
if all else fails i have a used wire harness out of an 02 700 vertcical edge it all works nothing wrong with it. I just took it out to install a P.E.R.C. system.
if ya need it i got it. just shoot me an offer. its just taking up space in my shop.

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Thanks Razie, Just waiting for some parts to come via UPS! I'll be sure to let you know :beer;

Premium Features