• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 vs D8, what to buy

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
debating on whether or not to buy one of the following:

'09 M8 153"
'10 M8 153"
'09 Dragon 155"
'10 Dragon 155"

also considering HCR and Assault (the 146" is a turn off)

Im aware of most of the advantages of both, it may come down to price.

opinions and comparisons are welcome and appreciated

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I spent some time on the model year 2010 sleds this spring. The 2010 M8 has more motor than any other 800 out there. The Dragon rode better. I liked both sleds and myself and the 2 other guys riding them decided that it would come down to price... which ever one, the Dragon or M8 cost less we would get.

That said, there are no changes from '09 to '10 on the Dragon so you should be able to find an '09 for a decent price.

sled_guy

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm sure you are going to see some biased posts, but here is my $.02. I do not like the M chassis. It is too old school "bath tub" style for me. It is low and even though it does well in the backcountry, I don't like it. I like the nimble IQ chassis and once you learn to ride it, it repsonds very well.

The D8 motor does well (if you don't have issues). It will run with anything in it's class, but the track on that sled will kill it. It only does well in deep powder, but sucks in hard pack and getting good hole shots.

The M8 is reliable and will probably be a good sled. I think with the new D8 fixes, the sleds will be more reliable. I have had no issues with my 2009 (knock on wood). The M8 HO could be a different story though. I don't wish it on anyone, but who knows if that will be a reliable motor. Not hard to have relability when your motor doesn't come close to the competitions HP (older M8's).

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I am a huge Polaris fan but I got some seat time on the 2010 M's and if I was buying new today I would have a good long hard look at the 2010 M.

The new M motor is very snappy almost a copy of the Dragon low end grunt. I like the Dragon for the ride and the fit and finish of the Polaris sleds are very well built if you take a look at Dragon and a M after 2000 miles the Dragon is always a very tight and well built chassis.

Can't go wrong with any of your choices but as far as the Cat goes I would go with the 2010 if you choose a M8.

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
now i am aware of the motor upgrade on the '10 M8, but if I can save a grand or two how much would i be giving up with an '09, i do plan a few small mods: pipe, intake, would this put me closer to the '10 M8 for less $

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
now i am aware of the motor upgrade on the '10 M8, but if I can save a grand or two how much would i be giving up with an '09, i do plan a few small mods: pipe, intake, would this put me closer to the '10 M8 for less $

Actually if I did like the M chassis, buying a 09 M8 is a heck of a deal. You can get a turbo on it and have a turbo M8 for around $14000. M8's do well with turbos.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah

IF the production M8 motor for 2010 is as strong as the protos we rode in Colorado then even with an SLP pipe on the '09 Dragon you won't have quite as much go as the 2010 M8. I have not run an '09 Dragon yet with SLP single and PowerCommander, but rumor has it that throwing more fuel at the Dragon with the SLP single on it makes quite a bit more power.

But you could make an '09 Dragon in to a pretty nice ride if you dropped the $2k+ (it will be more than that I'm betting) savings you would have buying it instead of a new 2010 M8.

sled_guy

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com

The 2010 is just a whole new feel as power goes it's snapy and just feels like a whole new sled. So you can save some money but it's going to be very very hard to get a 09 M to run the 2010 M

Premium Features