• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Rear skid bottoming out

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
I have an 08 M8, I weigh 210, the fox shock is at 145 lbs and the front coil over jam nut is turned in about 3/4 on an inch. I noticed that it apears to be bottoming out, nothing loud or obvious, but when I was doing my pre trip inspection I noticed that the pain is worn off of the top loops on the front arms as if it had been getting into the track clips. Also I notice that my front boggy wheels have been getting into the sides of the same upper front arms. Do I simply just need to increase the front spring pressure on the coil over, or is there something else that I am missing.

B
Dec 21, 2006
Front spring is all about transfer. I wouldn't touch it. Add some air to the rear 150-155lbs. Using the full shock stroke is not a bad thing though.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
rear should sag about 4 inches when you sit on it with gear, if it bottoms sometimes, that's ok, my front spring is just about rattle loose:D

about 50 psi in front floats, 130 or so in rear and I am a full sized boy:D

set pressures out in the cold with all weight off float

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You may have a little too much in the rear shock, making the front shock take all the hit instead of the whole skid going up and down. The more spring pressure you have on the front shock the more you will transfer so getting the right balance for your weight and how you stand and ride is an individual thing. A lot of front spring and soft rear shock will keep you on your tail too much. Too much rear shock and too light of front spring will not let you transfer and you can't get the skis out of the snow. Balance

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Getting the suspention balance will help it do everthing better. Don't be afraid of trying different setups. If the front skid is soft, it does flatten the angle of attack into the snow but at the same time adds weight to the skis and forces the back half of the track to do all the lifting up. If the front is firm, it lightens the skis, makes for a steeper angle of attack and forces the front to try to climb up and support the weight. You have to find the balance point or happy medium. I go about 260 with all my gear on, so I know how hard it is to get the setup just right.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
The real problem is the geometry of the rear arms, a problem which they fixed for 09. GEO came up with a quick fix for this. All it requires is drilling a new oil in the upper mount. This allows the shock it use its full travel and allows you to run lower air pressure in the rear which helps with transfer here are the links for the threads.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57103
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112213&highlight=fox+float+skid

camerapictures030geopr4.jpg

Hope this helps.

Premium Features