• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 front end setup?

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
I was riding this weekend in 15" of powder with a good base. I'm 6 4 240lb and had problems turning in the POW.
If I was turning right with my right foot on the right running board and my left knee on the seat, standing and leaning right, the front of the sled would dive toward the left ski. My front spring pressure is set about 3/4 of the way UP the shock. My limiter strap is all the way out and it does get up on the snow well.

So is this too stiff?
What are other big guys running for front spring Pressure?

My first thought was the spring was not set stiff enough thus letting it dive away from me. But then i started thinking the springs were to stiff and not letting the sled lean the way i was leaning.

Thanks DJ

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
both feet on the right running board near the back with a burst of gas and she will turn...if ya want to get real aggressive when turning right put your left leg on right running board and your right leg way to the right side of sled..find a meadow and practice...us oldtimers can learn this young stuff..

Last edited:
K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
If you want to steer right punch it steer left and lean lean right and vice versa when you want to turn left in powder, make sure your bars are tall enough for your height at least 4" rise 6'4" these m's are best rode standing up and using your body weight to manuver.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
If you want to steer right punch it steer left and lean lean right and vice versa when you want to turn left in powder, make sure your bars are tall enough for your height at least 4" rise 6'4" these m's are best rode standing up and using your body weight to manuver.

I'll try that, I have the telescoping bars and they were all the way up. I just kept thinking that with my size the sled should almost tip over on me when i lean not dip the other way.

m8magicandmystery Your right on the old dog learning new tricks:rolleyes:. Been doing this since 77 and just went from a 92 wildcat to the M8.

Thanks DJ

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
ya the m's are different to ride than any other sleds chck this out it should explain it he is ridin a doo but same principal.http://www.sledshot.com/tech_tips.php?pgnPageNavigator_page=2

LOL I have to laugh at myself on this one. First thanks for the link, the videos are excellent and i recommend searching for and watching COUNTER STEERING. I watched the side hill video first, I was side hilling like a mad man that day. It was the first time i was really out playing on this sled and i was so impressed by the way it worked on a side hill. Watching the video i realized that in deed I was counter steering like i should have been and it worked great. However as soon i was on the flats i wanted to turn the skis the direction i wanted to go instead of counter steering. The snow we were in was just like the counter Steering video. Can't wait to get into the pow to try this out. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick.

Thanks DJ

Premium Features