• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Exhaust Wrap, Reduce Heat ?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
From my earlier days I had headers on a rod that liked to get real hot. Melted things under the hood, Etc.

My recent expirence melting a oil bottle and all the stories of high under hood temps on the M8-M1000 got me thinking.

I used to use header wrap on the headers to keep the temps down. I was thinking about putting some on the Y and pipe.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=9

What do you think ?

I have been running it on my M1000 for a couple hundred miles, the only problem i have had is that I used worm gear hose clamps yo hold it on and one of them on the Y pipe came loose. I only have it on the y pipe and the first part of the expansion chamber up to the factory insulation. That took on full roll that was I think a 1"x30' roll.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I've been running header wrap for several years with no issues on my RKT 800, Kelsey (RKT) started as well and was mentioning to me that it has been working great in all the testing he does (that is from my last conversation with him, please confirm with him though).

Only thing I have noticed is I can touch my pipe with my bare hand longer than I would ever want to without the wrap which means it doesnt melt my DS hood when on its side, dont wrap the first bend in the pipe after the Y-pipe, it generates so much heat it will after several hundred miles actually burn off the wrap, which makes a mess under hood. I use stainless steel wire to hold the wrap on, lasts great.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have had good luck wrapping with the header wrap and then taping the header wrap with the aluminum heating duct tape..looks good and eliminates clamps/wire..

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
header wrap

I've had the exposed portion of my pipe just above the y pipe on my M8 wrapped for the last 3 or 4 thousand miles. I wore through on the pipe weld after a couple of years and re wraped it, still looking good and eliminated the melting issue. Used a hose clamp on each end to secure it and wrapped it tight. I used the narrow tape so I had a easier time fitting the wrap around the tight pipe bend.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
My recent expirence melting a oil bottle and all the stories of high under hood temps on the M8-M1000 got me thinking.

What do you think ?

Go to Lowes. Buy some duct tape. Not the type your thinking. The type for all the heating ducts in your house, that looks like aluminum foil but is adhesive backed. Plaster your oil res. with it and whatever else is near the pipe and you will never have to worry about it melting again.

T

TalkAK

Jan 11, 2008
Talkeetna, AK
Header Wrap

Tried this when I first picked up my 07 M8. Used the thin style, orange in color. The problem I had was the melting snow and steam in combination with the header wrap created an awful stink. It smelled like I was roasting a cat in there. (the furry kind) This may have burned off in time but I could not take it and removed it all. Added side vents and one SLP vent in the shock tower area and the heat went away. Good luck

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Also, the best way to get the tightest wrap is to soak the header wrap in some water for a few hours then wrap the pipes when they are wet. The wrap expandes when soaked then shrinks to normal when it dries. good luck.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Heat Wraping on 09 M8

Just wrapped my exhaust sunday, Have been noticing the oil tank and cap getting real hot on long pulls or deep snow. I used DEI header wrap, stainless steel wire, and DEI Stainless straps. I took the Y pipe and exhaust off to wrap, I think it would be a PIA trying to wrap on the sled. Wet the wrap for a little while before you wrap. worked out good for me, hope it drops the temps a lot. Also wraped the throttle cable & oil tank with foil.

img_0191.jpg

Premium Features