• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 owners?

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have a 06 m7 162, I have ridden a few m7 and they do not have the snap of the 800 or 900 mc. I am coming off a 800 mc that will pull right from the start, this m7 need a few seconds to get going. What can be done, I do have a rkt head I think I need to address the clutching or gearing. It has the OVS sec system. Back shift is not good as well, if I can stay on the pipe it runs very well.. All stock on intake and no vents, maybe she is heating up too fast. Thanks for any input.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
venting will definately be an improvement. since you already have an rkt head, the next thing i would recomend for out of the hole performance is gearing down. i have rkt head work done and geared down 2 sizes and threw the orange m8 secondary spring in and my sled feels like a whole different animal compared to the stock m7s i ride with. oh i have CPC adjustable weights to loaded mostly at the heal and that helps alot, and are easy to fine tune without removing the weights.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
for venting i installed side panel vents, a hood vent on the top of my hood(the orange cat face in my avatar picture thing is the hood vent) a flow right in front of the clutches in the shock tower, and drilled a bunch of holes about 3/8" in size along my dash just below where the hood sits down on it. the dash holes dont look the prettiest but they let alot of heat out from under the hood, there is never snow around them. as for gearing i just installed 55/65 gears from BDX in my diamond drive, which is 2 sizes lower than stock in the m7. the gearing topic has been somewhat contraversial(sp?) on here but i feel it was an improvement, theres lots of people gearing the m8s down which i believe have the same gearing as the m7s from the factory so i dont see why not do it on an m7.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
10.4 Secondary

You need to put on a 10.4 secondary clutch or machine yours to be like the 10.4. It is night and day difference for out of the hole performance it will also make your clutches cooler and belts last longer. Vern basically accomplished the same thing by gearing down the DD.

Put the side panel vents in but make sure you get ones with prefilter material on both sides. I also have hood vents everywhere.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I have a 06 m7 162, I have ridden a few m7 and they do not have the snap of the 800 or 900 mc. I am coming off a 800 mc that will pull right from the start, this m7 need a few seconds to get going. What can be done, I do have a rkt head I think I need to address the clutching or gearing. It has the OVS sec system. Back shift is not good as well, if I can stay on the pipe it runs very well.. All stock on intake and no vents, maybe she is heating up too fast. Thanks for any input.

I've got a theory on the M7 sluggish backshift and low end power and how to clutch around it. I have tried many weight, helix, and secondary spring combinations. Many combo's were better than stock, but still not great. The best backshift and clutching around the low end power problem was with the heaviest shift rate primary spring with a fairly low preload and 65 G weights (8-10000') I think part of the problem is that AC doesn't have the range of springs that Polaris and the aftermarket has. The Primary spring I used with the best success so far was the Polaris Black. I believe the shift rate is heavier than any stock AC spring. I am going to test my theory next weekend with the Polaris Black/Green. This spring has roughly the same engagement preload as the AC Yellow/White but the shift rate is well beyond the Polaris black.

I do not own this sled anymore, (sold it to my dad) but since it is still in the family, I am determined to make this sled perform.

I should also say that my spider and cover have been machined to accept the larger diameter springs and I am running the stock 10" secondary. Alignments have been done and belts last at least 500 miles, so there are no inherent problems. I'll let you know my findings.

A question to others reading this thread - have you been able to use D&D, SLP and other aftermarket springs without problems and not machining the cover and spider?

Last edited:

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
try the team coversion it really gives you quite a few spring choices I ran a 160-260spring rate and and it worked well from 3-6k

Premium Features