• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1k Fuel Pressure Check

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
What is the easiest and most accurate way to check the fuel pressure on an M1000. I am looking for a cheap yet accurate way to check my fuel pressure. Where should I check it, by the tank seems to be the easiest place to do it but is that the most accurate. I would like to just install an in-line pressure guage that I can leave on the sled. Can't I build one out of a water pressure guage or something really cheap?

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
You need to use an accurate gage or at least one that someone else has used and verified to be accurate. Its not uncommon for you standard gages from the parts store to be off a couple pounds. I used a certified test gage from an industrial facility to get my baseline then bought a cheaper glycerine filled gage (to dampen the pulses) to make all my adjustments with. Once I knew the fuel pressure was exactly 45 psi with the test gage, I knew that when my cheap gage read 44 lbs it was actually 45. I then adjusted my pressure down to 41 psi, knowing that it was still within factory spec at 42 psi.

All you need a length of rubber fuel line some hose barbs and a tee. Just remove the fuel line from the fitting on the front of tank and plumb in your new line with a tee, some barbs, and a gage. No need to cut the factory line if you just doing a temporary install to check your pressure.

For a permanent install BDX makes a really nice fitting that replaces the fitting on the front of you fuel tank. Just make sure you fuel level is below the fitting before you install it. Its about 18 dollars IIRC, then you just need to come up with a gage. Try to find one that goes from 0-80 or 0-100 as most gages are the most accurate in the middle of their range.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I found a wet gauge from summit racing on ebay shipped to me for $19. teed it in down by the fuel rail. and mounted it next to my pull start so I can see it wile riding. reads 44psi I bumped it to 48psi for y-pipe and can,

Premium Features