• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m1000 based 4 cylinder

D
Jan 20, 2008
Could anybody tell me if I can build a flywheel with 2 more triggers and have sufficent power to fire and operate 2 fuel injections on 90 degree configereration? I know it will need 2 ecu's and additional wiring. Any other ideas on firing 8 plugs. 180 degree if necessary. Thanks Dave davepia1@comcast.net

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You don't want to add more triggers to the flywheel, or the ECU(s) will think it's running at twice the RPM. You'd want to add a second timing sensor 90 degrees offset from the first, wired to the second ECU. As for power, if you didn't need a lighting coil, I bet someone could wire you up a stator with two ignition coils instead. You'd have no handwarmers/headlight, but if I remember right, this is going in a 4-wheeler?

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
So a 4-wheeler with 2 M1000 motors? With that kind of power, I'd have to say you are insane. You had better give us more details since most of us on here are no where near sanitity either :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Something similar to this motor, but with another cylinder, and using M1000 motors as the base instead of King Cat motors:

Enginefront.jpg

Take two (or in his case, three) motors, cut one in the middle of the mag cylinder, the other in the middle of the PTO cylinder, and weld them together!

2007_1020cat-triple0249.jpg

Mockup.jpg

D
Jan 20, 2008
Exactly. weld 2 m1000 together.

I have 3 donor motors and have built two rotax 670 based 4 cylinder motors. The cat would be easier along with stiffener plates bottom and top. We only run 3 second atvs. I need electronic help. The rotaxs were simple, we ran a tripple stator with a twin flywheel, no efi. I live in the south and am will pay for help as we have few sleds in Mississippi. Any referals? Dave

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'm still talking to my dad about doing cases, although if you've got that engine builder local, the welding work isn't that tough.

I'd give RM Stator a call, or another stator company, and see if they could re-wire a stator with two ignition coils. Then it would be as simple as just setting up two duplicate ignition systems. EFI would be stock, and you'd just have to mount the second timing sensor.

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
Sick! This why I no longer have any machine that is close to stock!

Love the pics, any more?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
It depends on how the crank was timed but id think if you did it in the same setup as stock firing at every 180 degrees with the twin output coils just run one spark plug per cyl and either run a custom head with one spark plug hole or just leave one of the holes plugged? I dont see why it couldnt work and be simple.

But if your run 2 motors you would have enough electronics to make it work in a 4 cyl application. Worst case scenario run carbs and get 2 8/900 ignitions and adapt them to the m1000 motor.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
I mentioned this once before on a post a few years ago, would it be possible to run a suzuki out board ignition? Also Hooper racing is building some 1000/2000 cc 4 cyl. engines so you may want to check them out ..

G
Apr 23, 2008
U would use the oem stuff and fire it 180. 90 firing will fail the crank on the first 2 or 3 runs.

I started doing 1 of these for man in Nova scotia last yr, Our good friend Busamod ( pengilly is working on his version as Well ) .

forget the efi and go with simple carbs and an MSD digital 7 so you have total timing control and launch control.. Would you be familiar with the name Stampar ? they do that short sand drag stuff with DNE built doo quads.

Good luck bro.. its all fun till someone pokes thru the 1000 hp mark..!!!

Gus

S
Jan 8, 2010
I am building one off these also. It has been a project I started a few years ago but I am ready to start back up. Who is balancing the crank?

Premium Features