• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Ascender

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Haven't had a chance to get sled on the mountain but in testing around my house I have been getting the mapping on the PCV pretty close. Feels very strong and instant throttle response. This is with stock engine. Love the wideband tuning on the PCV. LED headlight burned out on the 2014 wiring so installed a Mountainfit headlight delete and a BDX protectair a friend who turboed his Alpha gave me. Acquired a new 35mm Team Primary and a full 2016 1100 Turbo clutch kit I am going to try with the ported cylinders when they get installed. Picking up a full Alpha setup in trade for the twin rail this week. Cylinders are getting done by Arctic Edge as well this week. Have a 2 week holiday away from the north so will be installing a lot more goodies when I get home. Bought a cheap 1000 lb hanging scale I am going to weigh sled with after Alpha install. Christmas will be fun.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I have made a spreadsheet for excel that I just type in the 0% low rpm AF target, and 100% high rpm target AF, and it interpolates all the AF values in between. It is very handy when working with AF table for autotune.
Just let mw know if you could have use for it.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I have made a spreadsheet for excel that I just type in the 0% low rpm AF target, and 100% high rpm target AF, and it interpolates all the AF values in between. It is very handy when working with AF table for autotune.
Just let mw know if you could have use for it.
I would like to try that. My email is brianscathouse@gmail.com if you would care to send that to me. Much appreciated.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Updates on the project. Finished weight with 165 Alpha installed, half tank of fuel with spare belt and tool kit on board is 516 lbs. Headlight delete was on. Snow at house deep enough to finish dialing in the fuel controller and will go riding it this weekend. Have my ported Arctic Edge topend to install yet. Want to dial in stock engine and then try the ported setup and new Team clutch setup afterwards to see the difference.

20221218_141134.jpg 20221218_153334_HDR.jpg 20221218_153309_HDR.jpg 20221218_205602.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Nice! Excited for you to get it on the snow. Weight looks to be in the ballpark of what my supercharged Alpha build is.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Build update and question for anybody familiar with 1000 engine. Got sled running and dialed in good with stock cylinders but could only get 7300 rpm with SLP pipe. Tried a few things with clutching, power valves, tuning. Run good but only 7300. 1700 ft up to 7000 ft still only 7300. Put Arctic Edge cylinders and head on along with new Team clutch and adjustable weights and pulls way harder but still hits 7300 rpm. I am leaning toward bad ECU and will try that next but just looking for other avenues I may have missed. Only other thought was my pipe sensor delete(resistor), used it before on another sled and no issue. Need to weld bung into pipe if I want to put one back on. Rather not as I used to find the 1000 liked to break them more often than the 800s. Love this thing with the Alpha setup but would like to see 7600+ rpm. Anyone ever see a PCV box cause this? Might try unplugging and do a run in field to see if it spools up further before I change ECU.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
For some reason I recall seeing a video on facebook of someone trying to put the newer Team 35mm on a M1000 or put the old clutch on the yamaha motor and it wasn't a direct swap. Something about how far the back of the taper casting sticks out from the back of the sheave and it was hitting the motor mount plate. Might have been Kevin Hubbard that posted but I can't remember for sure. I would verify before buying anyhow.
Ended up buying a new 2016 Team M9000 clutch and was a direct fit, using it on sled now. Anyone need any older M1000 clutches? Now have a surplus of good 3 and 4 tower ones.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Ended up buying a new 2016 Team M9000 clutch and was a direct fit, using it on sled now. Anyone need any older M1000 clutches? Now have a surplus of good 3 and 4 tower ones.
Does that clutch have the roller bearing?

We was troubled with low rpm on my friends sled, ended up chopping the SLP pipe and shortend it in the mid section. Made it some better raising rpm couple 100s. We then moved on to a D&D pipe, and are now pulling into the revlimiter at 8000rpm when not clutched properly. (Ported engine)
We tried alot of stuff with the SLP pipe, but could not for the life of it get it to work properly. We did the build with vertical steering, so we had to cut and reweld the pipe to make it fit. We tried numeros different silenceres, changed stinger diameters and whats not, but could not make it pull more then 7500rpm ish.
Moved on to a D&D pipe, and it works even with stock 800 silencers.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Does that clutch have the roller bearing?

We was troubled with low rpm on my friends sled, ended up chopping the SLP pipe and shortend it in the mid section. Made it some better raising rpm couple 100s. We then moved on to a D&D pipe, and are now pulling into the revlimiter at 8000rpm when not clutched properly. (Ported engine)
We tried alot of stuff with the SLP pipe, but could not for the life of it get it to work properly. We did the build with vertical steering, so we had to cut and reweld the pipe to make it fit. We tried numeros different silenceres, changed stinger diameters and whats not, but could not make it pull more then 7500rpm ish.
Moved on to a D&D pipe, and it works even with stock 800 silencers.
Thanks for the insight, I have gotten more rpm in last couple days with some fuel and clutch changes. I have a 3/4 spacer between y and pipe to make pipe fit chassis and I know that will drop target rpm some but raise torque, I can live with that. My target is 75-7700. Can't find a D&D pipe anywhere, found a Speedwerx but guy won't ship it. Today will see how it runs. If tach didnt show rpm I would swear this sled is dialed as it pulls and runs very well. Lowend is incredible with the Alpha track.
The Team clutch is non roller made for the 16 1100 4 stroke engine, I am using a Bikeman clutch kit for 2016 1100 4 stroke with adjustable weights set lighter than chart says (84 base set at 86.8 currently weighted heavy to heel) the secondary side of the kit is same as what the 18+ Ctec 800 kit has(TB-1 helix, orange spring).

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
which belt is it setup to run? I know on the 16/17 team clutch sleds where 084 is specified, you can run the older 083 for a simple slight rpm raise. Hopefully there is a way you can check your clutch alignment as well, or i guess you could fool around with it and test.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Proper Cat Team alignment bar and plug worked. Running 084 belt and actually added weight to heel to get my rpms up where I wanted them. Todays test ride was a success other than being a little lean on wide open pulls. Changed fueling a little more but tomorrow should be running fully dialed in. Might try a different belt as well. Have a Dayco XTX to break in for spare.

Last edited:

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Final update on build. Was having RPM issues and narrowed it down to pipe causing my 7300 RPM wall. Couldnt find any other pipes beside the 2 SLP ones I had collected and modified. Did lots of pipe theory research and narrowed it down to not enough backpressure. I had initially shortened outlet from M1000 specs and I had used the cutoff end from Ctec pipe to do it. It had a great fit. Ctec pipe had 1/8 bigger outlet than 1000. Also did not realize Ctec pipe uses an internal stinger. Took second SLP pipe and cur stinger off, left length as is and inserted into pipe and fitted it. Immediately my idle Rpm dropped about 1000 down to 18-2000 range. Tried it and big improvement. Ended up throwing a tighter can on as well and now it rips up to 7800 and holds 75-7600 under load. Throtlle response and playful feel is great. Rode my buddys Silber Alpha and I would pick this setup over the Turbo any day.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Another update, wasnt liking my clutch engagement with Team clutch, very harsh with heavy weights (84 base weighted to 87) and even tried a lighter spring. Barely a hundred miles on Bikeman weights and bushings already bad. Belt to sheave clearance is over .130 using belt made for that clutch (084). Is there shims for spacing the sheave clearance on the Team primary? Parts breakdown on clutch doesnt show any different ones that would move sheave closer. Anyhow, switched back to Cat 3 tower with 79 gr Big Dog weights and engagement fixed as belt clearance back to .040 but alignment was way off. The 1100 clutch and M1000 have 1/4 inch offset difference. Checked my 4 tower clutches and they match the Team clutch offset but have proper belt clearance. Another bonus is the Cat clutches are 8.25 inch diameter and Team is 8 inch. They were 1100 application originally. Another lesson to this is to use 1100 clutch for this chassis. Setup a brand new in box 07 1100 4 tower with 68 gr MTX weights with no rivets and going to try it out tree riding at 7K tomorrow. Probably going to need weight added but I tried a different 4 arm clutch with 72 gr Cat weights yesterday in same area and would only hold 6400 on hill in deep snow at 7K, still pulled hard though. Felt great on lake at 4000 ft pulling 7500 RPM. Still would like to get Team clutch working and put a better set of adjustable weights in it but 4 arm might be the ticket for now. Just not a fan of taking fixed pin weights in and out to adjust. Wide range of weight I am trying is because of different weight design, MTX need to be heavier than stock equivalent, Big Dogs run lighter than stock, 72 cat weights were lightest I had with set of 4. Bikeman Goldstar I have no real comment. Looking to end up maybe at 70-72 gr with MTX weights.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Sled fully dialed in with clutching and fueling. Runs great and is a ton of fun. Raced it at our fun day sno/hillcross club ride and throttle response and torque is definitely 9R territory. A few guys who normally ride turbos and 9rs tried it and were impressed. Going to be building a boosted one soon for a friend. Using his boosted M1000 174 and his 13 Proclimb 800 for donors. Will document that build as well. Have 3 more conversion plates coming that were just finished yesterday.

Premium Features