• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 -09 break in duration?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Quick question:
How long M1000 -09 needs for break in? Is it time or distance related?

My pal bought M1000 SP -09 and we installed recently full SLP pipe and BD box. It still seems quite rich but we are wondering if break in isn't ready yet? It has about 300 miles in odo. We'd like to lean it out a little. We used SLP numbers.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Gauge. We think it's still rich. Gauge says below 1000F temps. While trail cruising long time around 60 kmh (about 40 mph) temp will rise over 1100F (which is ok). With stock map and pipe it was horrible - burned several plugs because of too much fuel and throttle response was measured in days :D

M
Nov 27, 2007
In my experience with A/C Suzuki nicasil engines you really see full power at about 500 miles at least that is what i found on my last 6 or so machines. Hope this helps. That being said there is nothing wrong with making it run right now.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
You say you THINK its rich because of the egt reading. What do the plugs/pistons say? Have the egt reading been compared to the plugs?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I admit - we think it's rich because of the EGT. Gauge is from my sled and we just checked where we are and like to use safe settings. There's enough power even it's not fully set. Main thing is to get rid of the bog and keep it alive with safe numbers.

So, we leave it to current settings. It's little richer than SLP suggests.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
try this...

a buddy who builds a lot of motors said find a little hill (400-600ft) run the hill several times in and out of wot, hold it wot for couple hundered feet turn the key off while you have it wide open, after coming off the hill of course. pull your pipe, pull your plugs, read them. You can pull your power valves out and get a good look at your piston wash here with a mini mag light through the spark plug hole. Don't worry about burning down your motor in this short period of time it is going to take a lot longer pulls to do any damage.

just my 2cents.

Premium Features