• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M100 won't rev

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Tried to go riding today and I can't get my sled (08 M1k) to rev past 4K and I can't figure out what is wrong. The sled starts fine but will die if you give it too much gas, it seems to pick up r's fine untill 4K then it just dies. I can make it go buy giving it short blurps of about 1/4 throttle but thats it. I am assuming some sort of sensor or something has gone out but I don't have any codes on my gage. Last weekend it ran really good so I know its not my setup any idea whats wrong.

S
Nov 27, 2008
This will probably turn out to be wrong, but it sounds like a lack of fuel. Maybe the fuel pump? Do you have a fuel pressure tester?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I do have a fuel pressure guage but I don't think that is it because when I pulled the plugs they were black so it was getting plenty of fuel. The funny think is I got it to run for a minute and it ripped then it went back to bogging. Where is the throttle safety switch?

Anybody go any other suggestions.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Blackfoot Idaho
It is in the throttle block. I have had several sleds do what yours is doing and thats always been the problem. I unhook all of mine. Seems like whenever you ride deep powder they get mosture and start freezing up then telling the sled the throttle is stuck when you hit it killing the motor.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Its your throttle saftey switch, the pin that holds your throttle flipper on has play in it, when you push the throttle the pin moves to the left pushing the switch. the switch is a small button in the center of the pin inside the throttle kill switch housing. If the switch isn't pressed in and the throttle is applied the motor cuts out at 4000 rpm. its to prevent your sled from running away if your throttle sticks. You can unplug it and over ride the switch.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Tried to go riding today and I can't get my sled (08 M1k) to rev past 4K and I can't figure out what is wrong. The sled starts fine but will die if you give it too much gas, it seems to pick up r's fine untill 4K then it just dies. I can make it go buy giving it short blurps of about 1/4 throttle but thats it. I am assuming some sort of sensor or something has gone out but I don't have any codes on my gage. Last weekend it ran really good so I know its not my setup any idea whats wrong.

Same thing Just happened to me a Few weeks ago. CHECK YOUR THROTTLE CABLE. mine was iced up.Let me Guess you had to Blip the gas for it to move. Get it into a heated shop or use a hair dryer. ur good after that.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Sounds like you guys nailed it on the head. I am still pizzed I missed a good day of powder because of a stupid safety switch but I am glad its an easy fix. It was a long 10 miles back to the pickup yesterday when you have to blip the throttle the whole way. I will disable the switch so i don't have that problem anymore.

Thanks for the help

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Well after another day of riding I am still having issues with the sled not reving past 4K. I rode half the day and didn't have any issues and then I was making a pull and the sled just cuts out and dies right in the middle of the hill. I then had issues the rest of the day, if I turned it off and let it sit for like 10 minutes it would run good for a little while then start cutting out again which makes me believe it is heat related.

I have rulled out my boondocker box being the issue and the pipe sensor. As I was trying to troubleshoot the problem I thought that maybe the regulator was heating up so I started packing snow on top of it and once I did that it would run good. Does anybody know if this is a common problem, I see that on the 09's they put a big cooling fins on top of the regulator so obviously they must have has some concerns with heat.

I also would like to mention that I did not have any issues until I got the 09 reflash and I am wondering if that reflash if putting more of demand on the regulator causing it to overheat. I have no idea if any of this makes sense but I am assuming that the regulator has a breaker in it that flips when it overheats and tells the ECU to not rev over 4K.

Any feedback would be great.

Truckee Coastie

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2008
Truckee, CA
Power Valves

Had a very similiar issue so I cleaned my power valves (1600 miles on sled) and problem was gone. Clean with brake cleaner and razor blade to get of oil deposits. Also, check the wires that come off the back of the power valve actuater above the driven clutch. Buddies sled had wires chaffing against the mounting bracket and grounding out the system. Or when snow come in the front vents on the hood it builds up and can block the clear tube coming off your ECU and cause it to bog really bad. Good luck.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Thanks for the suggestions but that doesn't explain why it runs fine after I let it cool down or why it will run fine for half the day and then start cutting out. I believe this to be either the voltage regulator or ECU.

Premium Features