• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Fuel Alarm

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hey folks,

The one thing my 2020.5 850T does that is super annoying: low fuel warning beeper starts at about 3.5gal remaining (after burning around 6gal).

OK, OK, I get it: at this point of fuel remaining it's time to start thinking about the fuel situation. Thanks. BUT, it just keeps beeping and beeping, and is annoying AF until you add fuel again.

I'm not aware of a way to silence the alarm once it starts, and if you're riding slower/lower RPM, it's very audible. Any suggestions on how to change this "feature" so the alarm can be muted without disconnecting/disabling the fuel gauge altogether? Is there some sequence of pushing the button on the gauge that will stop the beeping?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the somewhat updated fuel tank design, which is slightly different in design than my 18 850, and I'm not sure if the fuel gauge is relocated or different than previous or non turbo versions. I don't recall the fuel warning coming on with nearly as much fuel remaining in my 18.

This sled kicks ass. Just one minor nit here. Oil sensor warning starts beeping at 3/8 tank too... but that's far less of an issue. Guess Doo just really wants to make these sleds as idiot proof as possible. :rolleyes:

B
Nov 2, 2009
I have a different problem - my warning never goes
Off, plus reads weird
All the time. Rode and had 1/2 tank -
Registers 1
Bar maybe 2. Not reliable.

QUOTE="JH@CM, post: 4397782, member: 153205"]
Hey folks,

The one thing my 2020.5 850T does that is super annoying: low fuel warning beeper starts at about 3.5gal remaining (after burning around 6gal).

OK, OK, I get it: at this point of fuel remaining it's time to start thinking about the fuel situation. Thanks. BUT, it just keeps beeping and beeping, and is annoying AF until you add fuel again.

I'm not aware of a way to silence the alarm once it starts, and if you're riding slower/lower RPM, it's very audible. Any suggestions on how to change this "feature" so the alarm can be muted without disconnecting/disabling the fuel gauge altogether? Is there some sequence of pushing the button on the gauge that will stop the beeping?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the somewhat updated fuel tank design, which is slightly different in design than my 18 850, and I'm not sure if the fuel gauge is relocated or different than previous or non turbo versions. I don't recall the fuel warning coming on with nearly as much fuel remaining in my 18.

This sled kicks ass. Just one minor nit here. Oil sensor warning starts beeping at 3/8 tank too... but that's far less of an issue. Guess Doo just really wants to make these sleds as idiot proof as possible. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Makes you wonder WHY there is even a fuel gauge... if it's generally not reliable/functional.

The practical challenge to any fuel gauge is measurement when the sled isn't on level ground. But in theory, adding a second gauge within the tank and having the computer average the two gauge readouts could help mitigate this.

My preference would be going back to analog. Polaris has a better setup in this regard. At least their gauge is consistent and easy. But a traditional gauge takes a tank with a more forward orientation than the doo tank which flows mainly to the rear.

Anyone else having issues here? Solutions?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
my idea would be to fill up the tank and then have the computer record the consumption, do the math, and then provide the amount remaining, burned, etc. i used to do that all the time in my days of offfshore fishing and diving. i'd top the tank off, and use the data from the floscan to calculate fuel remaining.
easy.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
my idea would be to fill up the tank and then have the computer record the consumption, do the math, and then provide the amount remaining, burned, etc. i used to do that all the time in my days of offfshore fishing and diving. i'd top the tank off, and use the data from the floscan to calculate fuel remaining.
easy.
Great point. These sleds are smart, and this feels like an obvious and doable item for the ECU.

@Norona Here's my official request to get this high on the list of upgrades for the Gen5! How many gallons burned vs. remaining would be absolutely awesome!

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
When is the last time BRP had a snowmobile fuel gauge that worked? 2004 Rev gauge would stick all over the place,2008 had five of the Summits none where accurate 2015,2016,four 2017 Summits,one 2019 and a 2020.5 turbo that doesn’t read correctly,but I didn’t buy them for the fuel guage

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
rode a few hours yesterday in deep powder, got back to the snopark and the gauge on my 2020 was showing a full tank.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
My first doo so I was surprised when on our first couple rides (all of us on 2020 doos, all new to doo also) the fuel gauge was all over the place. I agree, for the $ we're paying for these sleds, you'd think a reliable gas gauge wouldn't be too much to ask, but what doo do I know. I was happy to learn about having your buddy sit on the back of the sled to actually fill the tank completely up in the first place. That got rid of at least some of my worries about running out of gas. Just make the tank clear, that couldn't be too hard or expensive and then you wouldn't need a gauge at all.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Clear OEM tanks won't meet EPA regs, at least without more $$$. Rigid EPA specs on OEM fuel tanks now. Aftermarket, yeah, but availability is pretty limited now by model and size.

And I ran the Doo and Poo clear race sled tanks in the 90's until the end of the REV and Poo Edge platforms (and you could get them as replacements through the factory race shops). The 04 consumer Summit X actually came with a clear tank and tank covers. There are other issues with clear tanks, which is why flexible covers were sometimes included.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Clear OEM tanks won't meet EPA regs, at least without more $$$. Rigid EPA specs on OEM fuel tanks now. Aftermarket, yeah, but availability is pretty limited now by model and size.

And I ran the Doo and Poo clear race sled tanks in the 90's until the end of the REV and Poo Edge platforms (and you could get them as replacements through the factory race shops). The 04 consumer Summit X actually came with a clear tank and tank covers. There are other issues with clear tanks, which is why flexible covers were sometimes included.

Clear tanks allow fuel to break down from UV.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
So we know that generations of Doo fuel gauges are underwhelming.

How about some progress for 2022 and/or Gen5??!!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
When is the last time BRP had a snowmobile fuel gauge that worked? 2004 Rev gauge would stick all over the place,2008 had five of the Summits none where accurate 2015,2016,four 2017 Summits,one 2019 and a 2020.5 turbo that doesn’t read correctly,but I didn’t buy them for the fuel guage
The revs also had a pickup problem and you would run out of gas going downhill. Had to turn my sled uphill to get it started a few times. Bet there was 2 or 3 gallons you couldn't get out. Finally drained tank and marked it with a sharpie on xrs. It had a vinyl cover so uv wasn't getting to it. Always packed gas back then. Run out and put spare gas in and head home. Hardly ever pack gas now. I'm sure that means the new ones run way longer.

Premium Features