• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

loud howling under arctic cat

C

catdaddy51

Jan 18, 2009
I have a 900 mountain cat. i have a loud howing sound coming from under the sled. Does anyone know what this could be. It has 159 inch track thanks

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
speedometer still working? I have replaced TONS of bearings on 8/900's, there are some years that are very problematic bearing wise. How many miles on the sled and what year exactally?

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Last time that happened to me, I realized my my riding partener had forgot to let go of the snowbungie handel:D

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Hifax getting thin? If so the track/skid/wheels make more noise because the wheels put more pressure on the track.

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
Have you ran over any hippies lately. I'm pretty sure a treehugger caught in the track would howl preety good.:D I would deffintly check bearings and chaincase had a buddy who had lots of problems with both on his 800 cat.

05 m7 regeared, and clutching,
99 polaris mod

C

catdaddy51

Jan 18, 2009
my sled is a 04 900. i checked the hifaxes a little worn i will just replace to see if thats the problem. i do not have a speedo adout 1800 miles. thank for the response.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
noisy kk

you need to find a place you can lift the back of your sled and spin the track and look for signs of visable track and suspension rubbing and have pal fire the sled up and run the sled while you are looking for the noise.

often you find:

rear shock on front end has collapsed down into track instead of being up above the mountomh cross shaft which will cause big track noise........and eventual track destruction.

upper front shock rear susp. bolt came out and front shock is rubbing on track

With sled up and turned off, try and shake and rattle the drive shaft to see if you have a bearing out.

listen to chain case for bad or no chain adjustment in the case.

pickup new m8 and leave the problem to someone else.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
speedometer still working? I have replaced TONS of bearings on 8/900's, there are some years that are very problematic bearing wise. How many miles on the sled and what year exactally?

Check the bearing behind the secondary. Your speedo will quit working if it has gone bad. I have had to change that bearing on every cat i had during that years of sleds. It will sound just like that. If you don't catch it it will riun your drive shaft witch means $.

Premium Features