• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lightweight battery

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i swapped my battery for a noco lithium battery, its supposed to weight 3 lbs or so and the factory is 13.5 or so. I went with there group 14 battery because it had plenty of amps and was cheaper and lighter than the goup 20. the noco battery comes with plastic spacers to ad for height to make it the right height and then one of the leftover spacers fit perfect along the side. fits nice and snug and starts up perfect in the 50 degree shop. we'll see what happens on a cold motor, but so far so good.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Where it's located isn't as big of a deal as polaris battery. Don't know if i will even mess with it. It is amazing how much farther forward the tank is compared to polaris. Especially when you consider the back of seat is battery and not tank. Really cool sled.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
yeah being that its centered and in the towards the back its not nearly as beneficial as if it were up front on one of the sides. I figured it will be helpful when i've ran out of tallent and its upside down in a creek or tree and i need to lift it out. Also i'll use the stock battery in a jet ski so i wont be out much money. Even the battery compartment seems well thought out, theres no hold downs it just slides in there nice and snug. saves weight and parts. and the seat comes off super easy.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ya, I stay away from NOCO they don't even have a cca rating.
I called, and talk to their engineering dept to compare to a Shorai battery ( as that what I use in sleds) and they conveyed that theirs don't have a cca rating ( which I feel is kind important)

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
We sell the Noco battery jumper boxes. They are good stuff, I have never tried the batteries, but was going to on the catalyst. Weight loss is going to help, even if its behind the tank?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
If anyone needs a new light weight battery down the road, I have a new EarthX, well, used for a couple months. It’s an excellent battery. Got rid of the sled, I put the huge one back in and kept the EarthX thinking I would use it. I bought an anti gravity because of the smaller size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
We sell the Noco battery jumper boxes. They are good stuff, I have never tried the batteries, but was going to on the catalyst. Weight loss is going to help, even if its behind the tank?
Any weight loss will help but lets be honest. If you rode 2 different catalyst s, one with lightweight battery and one with stock battery, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I am betting people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between estart and non estart with where the battery is located. Now a polaris you can tell because the weight is on the side.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Any weight loss will help but lets be honest. If you rode 2 different catalyst s, one with lightweight battery and one with stock battery, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I am betting people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between estart and non estart with where the battery is located. Now a polaris you can tell because the weight is on the side.

If you lift directly up on the back of the sled in certain scenarios, the stock battery is obvious. Take it out and do it again and it can be felt. In riding and maneuvering the sled, no you can’t.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you lift directly up on the back of the sled in certain scenarios, the stock battery is obvious. Take it out and do it again and it can be felt. In riding and maneuvering the sled, no you can’t.

Betting 99.9% will not notice in scenario you speak of. Have 2 sleds with suspension the same and without knowing which one has the battery. People will be just guessing.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I put a noco in last winter when i moved the battery on my ascender under the hood, it has worked fine, lots of use, if its super cold and the sled sits outside overnight i have to pull start it first start up but then its fine all day. Very lightweight and the price was right, started it right up this fall after sitting all summer.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Betting 99.9% will not notice in scenario you speak of. Have 2 sleds with suspension the same and without knowing which one has the battery. People will be just guessing.

You’re probably right. My mind was made up it was true when I spent $275 on a battery.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
I put a noco in last winter when i moved the battery on my ascender under the hood, it has worked fine, lots of use, if its super cold and the sled sits outside overnight i have to pull start it first start up but then its fine all day. Very lightweight and the price was right, started it right up this fall after sitting all summer.
i saw in the directions or online that if its cold to try and start it a few times and that excites the electrons or something and it warms the battery internally. Easier to just pull the rope though.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Bet not. Put two identical sleds and tell them one has lightweight battery and see how the answer. Bet most people would give an answer and it wouldn't be that they are the same.

I have an example of how I noticed. It’s dumb and you’d poke holes in my theory, because it’s questionable. :)
So I’m sticking to my response of it is because I spent a bunch of money on it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Some people are very sensitive to changes and some people are not. Just how it is.

Relativity also plays into it. Fill the fuel tank and lift the back of the sled with the stock battery vs a lithium battery and it will be less noticeable than when the fuel tank is empty.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Bet most people would give an answer and it wouldn't be that they are the same.
you just said what I said. lol
lightweight batt seems like good upgrade to me line8. either that or leave the big stock battery in and remove the recoil starter. crazy talk!! little cord in your tool pouch just in case, why not.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
you just said what I said. lol
lightweight batt seems like good upgrade to me line8. either that or leave the big stock battery in and remove the recoil starter. crazy talk!! little cord in your tool pouch just in case, why not.

Valid logic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
i saw in the directions or online that if its cold to try and start it a few times and that excites the electrons or something and it warms the battery internally. Easier to just pull the rope though.

Yeah, hit the start button for a quick burst then let it sit for about 30 seconds before attempting to start. Mine was on my deck while i was grooming all night in below zero temps, was the only day it didnt want to start it.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Some people are very sensitive to changes and some people are not. Just how it is.

Relativity also plays into it. Fill the fuel tank and lift the back of the sled with the stock battery vs a lithium battery and it will be less noticeable than when the fuel tank is empty.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to come up with two sleds to compare, let alone a good cross-section of riders. I'll agree with @turboless terry that a lot of riders couldn't tell, but maybe closer to 50-50 in a truly fair comparison. Minor differences between "identical" sleds, like more aggressive clutching or a louder can, would fool a lot of people in a back-to-back ride. I'm a little iffy on L-ion batteries as worth it. Cold starts are where I'd want e-start the most, and that's where L-ion could fall short unless you bring it inside. Discussions like this make me wonder if I'd lean more towards Doo if pull starting gets to be a hassle. As long as there's not too much pulling on a cold start (mine's a bear - ;) - but I hear Doos are pretty easy), it seems SHOT gives you 90% of the advantage with only 20% more weight over pull start. If I needed e-start, and with an AGM battery weighing 12-14lbs but otherwise doing it's job better and cheaper than L-ion, I'd probably get the lightest AGM battery that'll work and call it a day.

Premium Features