• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Left Hand Throttle-Is it Necessary on the IQ Chassis?

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I agree with LP in this one, never had one myself. Never use the mtn strap either though. Bars on the dragons are bit narrower than the older sleds and with the bend on them I find it pretty easy to sidehill either way. This chasis love countersteer so the bars always seem to be within easy reach.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
I suck at riding hence my avatar picture, I don't use the mountain bar or a lefty but can sidehill just by holding the bars. Unless the lefty will help me with tree moving those pesky trees that just pop up it won't be going on my sled...

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
a left hand throttle is never ever nessicary

If you stay on the trails I suppose so.

Seriously, That is quite a statement you made there. I will have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I would think a 80.00 lefty would save you considerable $ when you are at the apex of your right hand turn out and you stick it on a 30* plus slope. I and many others have been in this predicament where the sled is ALMOST ready to roll over and you are hanging off the side and some even standing on your left ski to hold it from the rollover and all you need to get out is a quick blip on the throttle... That is when the lefty is worth its cost.<--------this is just one example but prolly the best.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Some will blow this statement off, but there are several people that get into trouble with a lefty as well. In fact, several kits include a pin to keep the throttle from engaging until you want it. Some will accidently grab it and could end up in the wrong spot. I'm sure there is a little learning curve to it.

I know of one guy who ran his sled through his back window when loading because he went to grab the bars while sliding off the seat and grabed the throttle.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
There are definately times when it's nice to have. Like when you are at a stop aiming downhill and you need to make a sharp left to go back up. Doubles is another use for it like the previous post pointed out. It won't make you any less macho or inferior rider to have one like some are beating their chest about. They may not be necessary but sure are more useful (and cheaper)than powder coated suspension parts or a graphics kit. (I like both before anyone gets mad at me.)

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
If you stay on the trails I suppose so.

Seriously, That is quite a statement you made there. I will have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I would think a 80.00 lefty would save you considerable $ when you are at the apex of your right hand turn out and you stick it on a 30* plus slope. I and many others have been in this predicament where the sled is ALMOST ready to roll over and you are hanging off the side and some even standing on your left ski to hold it from the rollover and all you need to get out is a quick blip on the throttle... That is when the lefty is worth its cost.<--------this is just one example but prolly the best.

I totally agree ! Like i said i dont use mine much but when I need it I am glad its there! Its saved me in some sticky spot in the trees. I once thought reverse was silly too! JMO

A
Nov 26, 2007
eugene, oregon
Some will blow this statement off, but there are several people that get into trouble with a lefty as well. In fact, several kits include a pin to keep the throttle from engaging until you want it. Some will accidently grab it and could end up in the wrong spot. I'm sure there is a little learning curve to it.

I know of one guy who ran his sled through his back window when loading because he went to grab the bars while sliding off the seat and grabed the throttle.

i always make sure the pin is in if someone else is riding my sled. i could be mistaken for the brake lever. .02

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
i never have used a lefty just because its an extra 80 bucks i can blow on something useful like a trip to the movies, or a new game for the 360 XD

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
a left hand throttle is never ever necessary

I didn't mean any offence to anyone. I just answered the question.
But, just because it's nice to have once in a blue moon, does not make it necessary that's what the question asked, and that's the answer I stand by.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Left hand throttles can get you in a lot of trouble quick! I know of one person who died a couple of years back by accidentally grabbing the LHT instead of the brake!!! Last year my dad had the pin out on his LHT after being stuck in some christmas trees after getting unstock he was going down hill and went to reach for the brake and WOT right into a tree and bent his a arm on his 09 XP.

I will agree with a few of the above posts that say they're stronger sidehillers on the weak (left hand side) with/out a left hand throttle. It seems as though you can balance the sled better, where as on the right side with the mountain bar it is kind of a all or nothing type thing.

Bottom Line, it is nice to have a LHT for one thing and that is; A paper weight! No just kidding, hard packed, slow, left handed slopes. Other than that I think that they're worthless!

my .02

Premium Features