• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Left Hand Throttle-Is it Necessary on the IQ Chassis?

B
Jun 22, 2009
Use to have Vert Edge RMK (Edge Chassis) where the left hand throttle was completely necessary for good sidehilling, couldn't live without it. I've heard the new IQ chassis is so much better that the left hand throttle really isn't all the necessary. How true is that statement? Is it still worth it to have one of these things or not?

D
Feb 26, 2009
I have an 05' 900 and I dont think I could live without the lefty on that guy. Probably depends on the year, as I know the 900's are quite a bit heavier then the newer dragons etc, but for 100 bucks I dont think you can ever go wrong with a lefty. Always seems useful at one point or another.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I had an 02 Edge with a lefty throttle. I kept the lefty for my 900 but I never installed it and haven't really missed it. There have been a couple of times when I'm tired and the lefty would have been nice but compared to the Edge, my 900 is super easy to sidehill with. I prefer to sidehill with the throttle on the downhill side. I gave my lefty away to a friend with an older sled.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Had one on all of my GenII sleds. Switched to IQ dragon and don't miss it except when in a real hairy spot. The IQ Raw lets you stay put on the machine and use the bars to steer/countersteer w/o moving alot like the older style chassis.

My $.02

BTW Now I come home w/good amount of energy, before was wiped out after a good ride. New chassis makes riding even more enjoyable.

B
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the input. I think I will just have to get a new goldfinger anyway. Don't think I will even try to take my old one off as it was custom fit to my old sled. Seems to me if you don't have one you are really doing you mountain bar a disservice as you completely don't get to use it on one side of the hill while you still can use it on the other side....makes no sense to me. I use to wonder why this wasn't a factory option as it is (most likely safety/liability issues). Anyone think there is any better options out there other than the goldfinger?

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
The pull on my Goldfinger is so hard that I don't use it because of that, is there a way to make it pull easier? I'm left hand retarded the way it is, throw that in with a hard to pull lever and you've got a dangerous combination.

But, the Goldfinger is by far my best selling kit.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Check out the SNO-BUNGE one it's quit good. I don't know if your getting a dragon or what and what year but I dislike the protaper bars look at the RSI race one man they fit good, I'm Poo threw and threw but have always liked the Cat bars and the RSI's feel like that IMO

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I had a 900 and now a 800 and didnt even use the mountain bar on them I think it depends on how you ride and if you learned to depend on the left hand throttle

B
Jun 22, 2009
I would be putting it on a 07 D7, and I definitely learned to ride with one (left hand throttle & mountain bar), my edge chassis sled wouldn't even begin to sidehill properly without a good combination of both. Did really well with the combo, but it sure was one hell of a workout by the end of the day, could be that I only weigh around 170lbs.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
In my experience with my '02, it is easier to learn with one, but once you understand how to balance the sled, it is much easier to keep your hands on each side and use the factory throttle. There are always a few situations when a lefty is very beneficial, for example the off camber sidehills that you hafta just creep across rather than being able to cut it in, and for that reason, I will be putting a goldfinger on my new sled (900 IQ)... as well as just for the few other times that they do come in handy.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I also had a lefty on my 02 RMK and used it lots, so I figured it was required on my 08 Dragon. I hardly ever use it on the new sled, the bars on the 02 were 2" wider than the bars on the 08 so it was harder to pull over. The new chassis is just so much easier to ride, can side hill with one foot on each board. I do use the lefty on the trail ride out sometimes when my thumb gets sore!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Use a Sno Bunjee on wider bars just because of the reach involved. Have seen plenty on newer sleds I think it is nice to have in certain "conditions".
You can always disconnect them <easily> if you don't need it.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I personally cant imagine why all mountain sled don't come with one. I am a big guy and dont need to use it very often but I'm glad its there when I need it !

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm actually surprised by the responses here. It looks like most people like to use them.

I have had an 07 D7 and now have a 09 D8. I don't use a lefty throttle. I think it is so easy to put the IQ chassis on its side, that I've never needed it. As a matter of fact, I sidehill much better on the weak side (pulling the sled left) that I'd rather sidehill that way. I don't use the mountain bar on the left side (but do on the right). I keep both hands on both grips, both feet on the left boards, pull the trigger and yank it onto its side. The IQ is very easy to balance on its side. My $.02

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Never used one, never felt the need for one............I thought the IQ compared to past sleds is really easy to sidehill.

Premium Features