• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought a 2006 RMK 700 CFI

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
info for you

here are some links..some of the info is scary to read, but it has some stuff on there you need to know and some good info to make that sled last you..

FBF cable..GET IT!!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46926

Great post from MountainHorse...
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112723

Some 900 info, but same issue and some fixes
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1263811

Great thread on oil/cranks....worth the reading..
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52811

read any and all you can about the sled..it will need some money to get perfect..they still have their issues, but IMO i love to wrench on them and they are a blast to ride..

-FBF Cable (link above) is a great replacement for the crappy stock throttle/oil cable
-balance your primary and get your clutching perfect..it will save your crank
-SLP push arm/SLP torque arm
-Vents, ANY AND ALL...at least get the shock vents, and either side panels, or SLP rear exit
-check your throttle body boots, replace if ANY cracks are seen
-set your TPS..there is a sticky on top of this forum and REPLACE your TPS pigtail (part# PM me and i will find the part number)
-clean your exhaust valves
-re-gear it to 19/42 (stock chain) and fill chaincase with ATF
-remove your radiator
-get better spindles (HOLZ)
-get better skis, alot of options..i have grippers and i love them
-get adjustable shocks for tuneability..do NOT remove sway bar with stock shock, you will blow them
-225lbs from track shock
-be careful with all wiring, do NOT zip tie them very hard, do not pull on them hard..you will break the wiring inside the insulation
-get all the updates done (give your VIN# to the dealer and they will check)
remove stock exhaust and replace with SLP pipe (with reflash), mbrp/cpi/sno-stuff/slp can
-if you have stock intake (gut it) and reinstall..get fire n ice (not avail until fall now, or timbersled..do not run any front mounted intake
-ONLY RUN 3211115 belt (have your primary shimmed to run this belt, and set belt deflection)
-use 66/44.46 Team helix
-COMPFUSION (member on here) front motor mounts (AWESOME product to keep motor straight) or at least keep an eye on your front motor mounts for tears..(not visible with motor installed)
-SKINZ front bumper (only works with non-front mounted intake)
-Ice scatchers (PM summitseeker on the forum)
-Better Boards are a must as well (PM F-BOMB on here) they are great and will never build snow on the running boards

if i think of more i will let you know..others will chime in..

alot of this info is common on the 900s..but i also use it to help with my wifes 06 700 and its been excellent..

Last edited:
D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Wow. That was a long list! Do i really have to do all of this?

I have ordered the xxxmodrods side vent kits, and was planning to have money for gas and oil the rest of the winter.. :cool:

What mods do you recon MUST be done?

I tought of the side vent kit, and a airbox kit (in the summer). Maybe a new can?

I am also sceptical to remove the front radiator, as i have to travel a long way on hard trails before i have a chance to see any powder..

Thanks for the previous replies!

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Hey - don't let Sean scare ya - he gets carried away sometimes - oh yeah did I mention he's NUTS!!! LMAO!!!:D
But everything he listed is something that would improve the sled!!
The initial things you can do are:
- Get a can (if nothing else to drop the weight)
- get the slp torque & push arms - these are not that expensive probably $40 to $50 each.
- Skis are a must those sidehillers are crap - any type of new skis SLP PP's or grippers you will see a huge difference (this is a must) - keep an eye out in the swapmeet for seconds.
- airbox is an improvement and don't be afraid to remove that rad - it's useless - I run scratchers on mine and you can run on some bada** snow conditions with those things and not have to worry about temps.
- drop gearing is a good inexpensive thing - you can do this with stock chain and stuff without any major expenses.
- really have a look at the clutch and make sure it's balanced - only run the 1115 belt - I am getting over a year out of mine.
There's alot can be done with this sled - the above I would concentrate on first and do what ya can when ya can afford it - also like Sean said keep and eye on things that he mentioned and you might save yourself some time and money down the road - they are great sleds - like I said earlier 4500 miles and counting!!!!

Last edited:
D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Im really not that skilled when it comes to clutches, but how do i know if it is balanced? I get the right RPM (7600-7800) and i have run about 500 miles on the same belt from when i purchased the sled about 1.5 month ago, without any kind of wear on the belt. It looks like new.

I also read about the torque arm/push arm - and that (one of them) would not fit since i have electric start?

Thanks again!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
well if you have alot of miles on your sled, then its due for a balance period..if you changed weights it will throw it off..not all weights are the exact same weight..but very close yes..

SLP will balance your primary for $45 plus parts (parts meaning, new bushings/rollers/weights) they will call you after the balance and let you know what is needed...WORTH EVERY PENNY IN GOLD..DO IT!!

the belt is a good sign of whats going on..squeeks/squeals (sp?)/HEAT is a major one..if your running the 3211115 belt, it will out last ANY belt out there and take alot more abuse...do you have a shock tower vent on your clutch side..YOU NEED IT...even if you have perfect clucthing..you will need to get the heat out..

check if your bushings are worn out (weights move or wobble)

you are correct, you cant run the SLP torque arm with the electric start..take it off, sell it to me for the wife and i will trade you for a torque arm ;)

yes i may get a little carried away when it comes to parts and what i "think" should be done, but like newfie, i am nuts..and i think money should be spent in the prime areas i listed above and then more into the goodies..why not let that baby RIP like it should have from the factory..

i have done 90% of what i listed and not a single issure from my 05 900 or the wifes 06 700..

balance, gearing, venting, throttle body boots, set TPS, check your motor mounts (FRONT), FBF cable, good oil, check wiring, all factory recalls/updates done is a good start..

PM me again if you need anything else..or any of the guys above..they know their stuff

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
My xxxmodrods vent kits are now shipped from the US. Hope it get's here before next weekend. 2 weeks vacation with my sled :D

Any opinions on the SLP push arm? Should i buy it right away? Where/How do i mount the push arm? And are the there any good benefits of using it (Since i dont buy the torque arm). ?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
My engine seized today. Mag side piston. Sled still runs, but wont idle. Did a compression test. Measured about 8 on PTO side, and 2 on mag side.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I can't help you rebuild the engine, but I know a lot about these sleds, 700 and 900, and have a lot of experience with them

so if anyone needs any help feel free to contact me.
There are quite a few guys on here that make it seem like you have to heavily mod the sled to even make it rideable and that's just not true

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
2100 miles on it. The dealer ordered new cylinders/pistons to do the rebuild.. VERY expensive.
If this is gonna continue i think i'll switch to a 4stroke next season..

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
My dealer doesn't get the parts in store before april the 24th. So i guess this season is over. Maybe if I'm lucky i get 2 weekends before the snow dissapears.

Anything special when riding the first miles on my rebuild engine?
(new cylinders, new pistons on both sides).

Premix extra oil in gas?

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
I will get my sled back from the dealer in the upcoming week.

Have also decided to keep it. As it worked out so well for me until the seizure.

The side vent kit is ready to be mounted, and a xenon conversion kit is on the way from hong kong :cool:

Will buy the slp push arm also. And a new drive belt, any suggestions on wich one i should buy? They cost a fortune here in Norway.

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
I've put 1600+ miles on my 755 & had very few problems. I often use it to snowboard the backcountry - so it sometimes has 2 people on it & we take it up some decent terrain. Mods I made:

Essential:
- bar riser block (powermadd). Get the ergos right & it provides extra leverage to maneuver this heavy feeling sled
- zip tie the stock foam air vents into the control panel (so you don't loose 'em)
- scratchers (Holz). It overheats without them.
- powderpro skis (SLP). Essential, the stock ones are junk.
- vent kit, both sides (R&M). Sled runs noticeably cooler (20-30 deg cooler) & belts don't burn so quick

Nice to have:
- snow eliminator running boards (great for any sled with old style boards)
- extra intake venting (SLP snap-in vents right near the stock vents near the gages)
- lefty throttle

I agree with other folks about the radiator delete, re- gearing & changing the intake if you have the time & $$. I wouldn't add a can. Waste of money for little gain. Some people put a stronger spring in the front shock on the skid & holz spindles to help with the heavy steering. Don't know much about that, but anything you can do to lighten the steering is good. It all cost $$ tho.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Where can i buy the scratchers?

I also experienced that the sled was bogging in very loose powder, ( i guess the powder got in to the air filter box?)

Any easy fix for that? Filter to mount on the stock box? Where to buy?

Thanks guys

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Where can i buy the scratchers?

I also experienced that the sled was bogging in very loose powder, ( i guess the powder got in to the air filter box?)

Any easy fix for that? Filter to mount on the stock box? Where to buy?

Thanks guys

yes, run some silicon around the headlight to properly seal it up.
and I'd recommend the combo air intake vents from Fire 'n Ice.
as these replace the stock intake vents which don't stop snow well

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks.

Guess what, i didn't get the sled before the weekend. And won't get it this week either. My dealer is the worst i have ever experienced. have waited 1.5 months for my sled. And now they found out that the other cylinder also was seized.

That means they now ordered the other cylinder from US, and it doesnt get here by night!
:mad:

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
I have now ordered the SLP push arm, and a SLP silencer.

Do i need to flash the ecu when i mount the silencer? My dealer told me it should be done to get the most out of the can. He also said he would do it for free... :)

What does the new "software" do?

Premium Features