• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is BDX going to reassure us that their oil dlete kit is safe.

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
Was wondering if BDX was going to step in with some opinions/reassurance that their kit works and is safe. We have heard a few people having problems with the waterpump shaft/gear destroying itself while using the BDX oil delete. Have the kit also and would hate to see a crank/motor go down because BDX overlooked the design and infact that the shaft/gear needs oil to live. BDX LET US ALL KNOW AS ENGINE/CRANK FAILURE IS COSTLY.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
I wouldn't run an oil pump delete without a way to lube the gears/shaft.
The 440 race sled had lots of problems the first year without an oil pump.
best fix is to get a small oil bottle from a rotary valve doo, and tap the block off plate for a nipple, and run a hose from the bottle to the nipple

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Was wondering if BDX was going to step in with some opinions/reassurance that their kit works and is safe. We have heard a few people having problems with the waterpump shaft/gear destroying itself while using the BDX oil delete. Have the kit also and would hate to see a crank/motor go down because BDX overlooked the design and infact that the shaft/gear needs oil to live. BDX LET US ALL KNOW AS ENGINE/CRANK FAILURE IS COSTLY.

Why dont you call Mike and talk to him before you post on here just to stir the pot:confused:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I wouldn't run an oil pump delete without a way to lube the gears/shaft.
The 440 race sled had lots of problems the first year without an oil pump.
best fix is to get a small oil bottle from a rotary valve doo, and tap the block off plate for a nipple, and run a hose from the bottle to the nipple

i think the block off plate is trouble free with the oilite bushing...what im going to do with mine is reinstall the banjo fitting on the bottom of the crankcase where the potential problem is with the gears (the banjo without the check valve) with a long clear tube (1/8 inside fits perfect outside into 1/4 inside diameter for more oil storage) routed up and secured and i will just fill the tube once a year..

Last edited:

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
No pot stiring was intended as BDX makes awesome products. Just the oil delete has been question by many and no real answer if it is install and forget like stated. Have spoke to BDX and they say no problems at all but others have opinions that differ. Some even with damage to the shaft/gear while running an oil delete kit. Some with damage because the shaft/gear was apparantly starved of oil. I have had mine on for over 500miles with no damage but am getting worried as no real conclusive answer either way. So if a company that is making profit of their products tells you something is it to sell a product or the absolute truth it works. It is like if a Toyota dealership tells you a Toyota Tacoma is the best truck on the market for running a sled deck with sleds and also pulling a loaded sled trailer is it true. So if you as a customer/consumer were to ask questions with no concrete answers is that stiring the pot. I would like to call it getting others opininon and knowledge not just the producers opinion. So to Mike/BDX if this seems to stir the pot on one of your items I appologize. Just looking for not only a reassurrance for sure from Mike/BDX but others that are sure its safe. As stated above your products are top notch just looking for concrete knowledge to reassure. By the way do not just run the oil delete but run many of BDX products.

bdx antistab kit
bdx lightweight rotor
bdx drive shaft nut
bdx gears
bdx bearing kit
bdx seal kit
bdx oil
bdx air box

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
If it is install and forget why are others doing,going to do or suggesting the following.

-run a grease zerk and grease once in a while
-run a fitting with an oil primer and prime with oil once in a while
-turn sled on side and load as much oil in cavity as can before putting bolt in
-run the banjo without the check valve and a line and force oil in once in a while

To me install and forget is exactly that and not doing what is above. Opinions or knowledge of others would help reassure everyone that it is in fact install and forget it. The benefits of using are a plus over the stock oiling system in my opinion, but also do not want to lose a crank becasue of the pros over the cons. Yes I also understand that you can also lose a crank while using the stock sytem because it is faulty or inadequate.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
If it is install and forget why are others doing,going to do or suggesting the following.

-run a grease zerk and grease once in a while
-run a fitting with an oil primer and prime with oil once in a while
-turn sled on side and load as much oil in cavity as can before putting bolt in
-run the banjo without the check valve and a line and force oil in once in a while

To me install and forget is exactly that and not doing what is above. Opinions or knowledge of others would help reassure everyone that it is in fact install and forget it. The benefits of using are a plus over the stock oiling system in my opinion, but also do not want to lose a crank becasue of the pros over the cons. Yes I also understand that you can also lose a crank while using the stock sytem because it is faulty or inadequate.

you have every right to question a product on the public forum...because many of these products are sold and marketed on the public forum...whats good for the goose is good for the gander...bdx is a great great company...but yes if there are many alternative out there to alleviate the POTENTIAL problem...is the problem POTENTIAL..??

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It looks like I need to step in and shed some light on this question. The problem that the first post was not because of the oil delete kit. There is a ball bearing that supports the water pump side. We support the oil pump side with a bronze oil bushing and if there were an oil lubrication problem it would go out well before the ball bearing would ever go out. When the 2003 SnoPro came out without the oil pump they had issues with the waterpump shaft seizing to the aluminum support housing because the trust washer would not permit any premix oil to get into the aluminum housing People tried putting gease zerks on the cover plate but it required daily maintainance. We developed an oil impregnated shaft support bushing which eliminated the maintainance issue. We have had them in 1,000's of sleds since 2004 and have tested them in sleds ranging from 440's to the 1200 turbo's which some have now over 6,000 miles and no issues at all. The only recommendation that we give our customers is a 40:1 premix instead of the factory 50:1. There have been people leaving the thust washer out ( which we give instuctions and pictures to show that it must be installed) causing the shaft to gaul the housing, thereby causing failure. Doing air pressure checks between the two crank chambers while running shows adaquate mist oil lubriction to the worm dive gear and the waterpump ball bearing through the crank bearing seals. We have tested and evaluated this product for 6 years and have run these on every sled we have ridden and have never and I restate, never, had a single issue with it when following the instuctions. Now there can always be an exception to every products use due to us all being human. If we could get the failed shaft and bearing and delete housing back to us we can evaluate the disstructive analysis and come back with a finite analysis of the cause of failure.

Ray
BDX

Any other questions please give us a call..507.824.9966..we will be at the Jackson Hole Hill Climb this weekend as well stop by and see us.

Mike
BDX

Last edited:

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
Nice reassuring reply but where is this bearing you speak of. Cat technician and Cat microfiche show only a bushing on the shaft part #3007-253. Others that have also torn into motor are saying infact it is only a bushing on the other end in the block no bearing. BDX tried contacting you today with no luck,again this is a no bash or downtalk but can you post about the bearing comment in your above post. Trying to clear the air on this potential problem if there is one and people that use it have a right for it to be spoke of publically on this forum. It is just putting all our knowledge together to make sure the oil delete is top notch like the rest of your products.

S
Oct 20, 2008
You will not get a hold of them the rest of this week. They are at the Jackson Hole Hill Climb unless Mike has his labtop with him. I have personally ran this product from them since 03 with many other racers with no problem. I have installed on many sleds also with no problems.

Dan

C
Oct 31, 2008
I have the BDX oil delete on all 4 of my M-sleds and have had 0 problems with it.
I have however experienced 3 seperate M1k lose a crank this year, all 3 instances were using the stock oil injection, 1 being a lower rod bearing which had plenty of oil, 1 being a primary clutch snapping off, and 1 being a lower rod bearing which looked like it was run with no oil.

The broken crank is an Arctic Cat M1k problem, not a BDX problem.

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
No one is stating they lost a crank from the oil delete just the shaft for oil/waterpump which can lead to crankshaft or even complete motor failure. Two seperate things and one(oil/waterpump shaft/gear) may be a potential problem from having the oil delete. No real concrete answers either way cause some seem to have been good so far with delete and others have not.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
i would like to hear if anyone is having shaft failures on m6-m8 sleds?
if im reading these posts/ threads correctly, the only reported failures are on the 1000's??
im not looking to stir any pots here, but i have never cracked the cases on my laydown motors, so i really cant make an educated decision for myself and will have to rely on fellow snowesters experiences.

on a side note i have been running the delete on my m7turbo this entire season w/ zero problems.just lokking for some piece of mind here...mm

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the tap with the small oil line is really simple and i know all the guys on the DOO oil deletes run them, cuz the oil does provide a bath to keep the bearings on the shaft from cooking. its a really simple mod, takes maybe 15 minutes and maybe $5 in parts to do and then you dont have to worry about the thing destroying itself!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
No one is stating they lost a crank from the oil delete just the shaft for oil/waterpump which can lead to crankshaft or even complete motor failure. Two seperate things and one(oil/waterpump shaft/gear) may be a potential problem from having the oil delete. No real concrete answers either way cause some seem to have been good so far with delete and others have not.

I dont think you are going to get the answer your looking for, not a CONCRETE answer anyway, this is the internet and everybody is going to chime in with there 2 cents about it, even if there not sure what it is!

JMHO

Premium Features