• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQ stearing effort ???????????

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
IQ steering effort 09 dragon???????????

Ok covered the ski questions in another thread ,,What about the front spindles from Holz or Zbros or timbersled (did I leave any one out?) They all claim easier stearing effort and better turning radius no darting ,,,Snake oil???any one have any real world experience with these claims???

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
yeah I know on the 900 they worked but the 08-09 are where you are with the spindels now they are supposed to be even better than the 09 stuff does any one know if the 10 models are even more changed

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
How about the guys who used the holz front ends with their spindle did you guys notice a difference,, especially in turning radius????

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm running the Holz spindles on my '06 900 RMK and they made a world of difference in the steering effort. Money well spent IMHO.

I have this same set up on my 08 D8 and also the A-arms and jumping back and forth onto my buddies stock set up same sled it's night and day. The arms are way stronger too. I spent the same amount over the years replacing stock on my 05 that this was a way better investment after bending the first one on the D8. Get 'em!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
if you set a pair of 09 rmk or dragon spindles next to z-bros or holtz, the geometry is almost identical... this isnt even close to the gain you get on a standard iq chassis like the 05-06 7/900's. imho the spindles are not worth the coin.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
if you set a pair of 09 rmk or dragon spindles next to z-bros or holtz, the geometry is almost identical... this isnt even close to the gain you get on a standard iq chassis like the 05-06 7/900's. imho the spindles are not worth the coin.

Just assuming you've ridden the two back to back, are you saying you didn't notice a difference?

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
I have an 08 RMK with holz spindles. I've tried stock, holz, and Z-broz, and to be honest I could not even close to tell a difference. From what I hear from people the biggest difference is when you change out pre 07' or pre 06' can't remember exactly what year. But anyways aside from the cool factor of the holz and z-broz there was no difference in actual steering effort. When it comes to the claim about less darting that's for sure snake oil. Bottom line, if you have an older polaris get them I've heard it make a huge difference. If you have anything 08' and up, don't waste your time unless you have some extra money and want to make your sled look cooler.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 2005 IQ RMK-SB-Fuse spindles were a joke

The 2006/2007 RMK-Dragon-Fuse-SB spindles were an improvement but the change came in 2008. (the 06 & 07 are the same.. I have both and they are identical)

The 2008+ have very similar Geometry to the Holz... Heck... Polaris is even using the Holz spindles in the 2009 IQR's

The 2009 Dragons are lightend versions of the 2008 (and 2009 non dragon spindles)

The 2009 Dragons have "windows" cut into the body of the spindle to lighten them.

The Holz spindle is a big improvement in the 2005/6/7 .... not so much on the 2008 & 2009... but they look cool and drop a little unsprung weight.

I have all of these spindles and run the Holz.

For the lightest front end... the Timbersled Arm/spindle combo is the ticket... still cromo tube and will take a beating.. the T-sled turns tighter... BUT ... you have to buy them as a package.... You cant buy just the spindles.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
For the lightest front end... the Timbersled Arm/spindle combo is the ticket... still cromo tube and will take a beating.. the T-sled turns tighter... BUT ... you have to buy them as a package.... You cant buy just the spindles.

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
I know that the TS is supposed to have a tighter turning radius, but how tight do you really need? Is 2 degrees going to make that much difference for you. Also have you seen any pictures of how the Timbersled spindles crimp their own tubing after a long season of turning hard? I'm certainly not a huge fan of that style design. If you want to build up the lightest sled possible and do straight pulls up climbs all the time, the Timbersled would probably be a great option. Otherwise I'd go with a nicely machined, extruded option like the Holz.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Timbersled CLAIMS about 17 degrees better turning radius ,,,I know My XP800 turns way inside my Dragon

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
Wow 17 degree is a lot, I wasn't aware that it was that much. Though I don't think a smaller turning radius makes that much of a difference from what my stock 08 had or even now with the Holz spindles. Does one really need that much more? What's the purpose? I know off trail I certainly don't cut the skis that hard because I'm always carving, and on trail if I had them cut 17 deg. they would be almost 90 degrees. I think I'd probably only use it in the parking lot to get around someones trailer or something. If someone could shed some light on this for me that would be great, maybe I'm missing something.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
well I know my XP is better in the trees than my dragon except for the power I like the XP in the trees better and personally think that the reason is the turning radius on the xp is just faster and sharper. thats what i'm trying to accomplish with my dragon,,that why I'm asking all the questions,re skis and suspensions,,, mabe I just cant get there!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
well I know my XP is better in the trees than my dragon except for the power I like the XP in the trees better and personally think that the reason is the turning radius on the xp is just faster and sharper. thats what i'm trying to accomplish with my dragon,,that why I'm asking all the questions,re skis and suspensions,,, mabe I just cant get there!

yep, the IQ doesn't have a good turning radius. I've noticed when I follow my buddy through the trees on his XP that I can't turn like he can. The XP chassis is so much more on top of the skis and turns better.

Anyway, I put the Holz on my D7 (2007) and it made a difference, but it was still hard to turn. You just have to get used to it. My 2009 D8 does turn better, so Polaris has improved the design.

Premium Features