• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy specialties Wow!

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Has anyone else had recall on new long rod bearings?
Why do my current long rods have grind marks on bottom of rods?
What good is a 3 year warranty when u have to pull your motor 3 times to send back to Dan for recall issues?(if u had to pay someone to pull motor and put it back in 3 times it would b almost $1400 plus freight 3 different times)that's over half the cost of a brand new motor. This time he will cover both ways.
I'm glad he owns up to issues but please!
Oh and another 3 weeks without a sled to ride!
Rode sled one time and got call to send back or else warranty void.
Seems to me that their quality control department isn't doing their job worth a crap!
Same thing happened last year on another one of our motors that had a 3 year warranty. Had to send back because of quality control issues.
It can't just b me with all this sh*tty luck
Wow is all I have to say!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
So you'd rather he not call you? and not fix it for free. You'd rather be left in the dark like the manufactures do and fight to get it fixed after the fact?

Dan does not play that way. He provides a better warranty than any of the manufactures and stands behind his work.

I would much rather deal with it Dan's way and rectify the issues before I ride it and might need a heli-flight to get myself and the sled back home.

I understand the need to vent, but Dan is a stand up guy and treats his customers better than anyone else in the industry. I'd be applauding that commitment, not trash talking him, but that is just my perspective.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Indy

I applauded him the first time, just not the 2nd and 3Rd. He should fix it for free that's what I paid for the warranty for and I expect nothing else. I should probably b grattful that I can't ride my sled as we r getting 2ft of new snow as well. I'm super happy about pulling the motor for the umpteen time because that takes 5 minutes as well.
U assume just because he calls and tells me there is an issue that I'm going to jump up and down with joy that he called me. I bought an engine with warranty that was pull the rope and ride I was told.
Lou maybe u can loan me your motor or sled so I can ride :face-icon-small-hap

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you were closer I'd consider that.

Even the stock CFI rods are machined for clearance to the case at the lower bearing.
Neither of mine have been recalled to date, but I would gladly cover the shipping even from Alaska. Still way cheaper than the Heli.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Dan is a stand up guy. If he was like most aftermarket guys today he would keep his mouth shut and worry about failures as they happen.
Instead he called each of us and said "send it back I need to fix this before a failure". One way or the other you were going to have to pull the engine, intact or after a catastrophic failure. This standup guy is saving you the probability of having to pull your sled from the back country. Not only wrecking your week or weekend but your riding buddies also. In these trying economic times, I'm glad to see there are guys like Dan still around.
Polaris has had their issues with all kinds of PRO part failures, did they have a recall or give you a heads up before you had a failure? No, they waited and if it failed they dealt with it, and in general they hope it makes it to the end of warranty. Then it's your dime. I'll stick with Dan.

Edit: I just dropped mine off at Dans, not many guys are still in the shop at 8PM trying to get their customers back on the snow.

Last edited:
G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Motor

I too was out at my shop last night until 9 pulling my motor to get it to him so I can ride sooner(I have a day job). I think it's stand up of him to call. Not disagreeing on that. As far as Polaris motor, I got over 2100 miles boosted no issues(with polaris it's free on warranty and they do everything). Had 300 miles on Indy motor before I pulled it and sent it back. Then 41 miles then sent it back. I thought the reason we put these Indy motors in was to not have the problems that stock motors have?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I too was out at my shop last night until 9 pulling my motor to get it to him so I can ride sooner(I have a day job). I think it's stand up of him to call. Not disagreeing on that. As far as Polaris motor, I got over 2100 miles boosted no issues(with polaris it's free on warranty and they do everything). Had 300 miles on Indy motor before I pulled it and sent it back. Then 41 miles then sent it back. I thought the reason we put these Indy motors in was to not have the problems that stock motors have?

In 2012 I waited over a month for an engine from PI, and they sent an '11 because the '12s were out of stock. Dan stands behind his motor boosted, PI does not.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Would someone care to elaborate on why the engines are being sent back to Dan?

The reason I ask is according to his recent thread he wanted the heavy lube, he'd been using to assemble his engines, washed out of the bearings as he felt it was causing issues due to the design of the semi - direct injected engine. The heavy lube was not being thinned out with fuel & was hanging around in the bearings causing the rollers to "flat spot".

On engines that haven't been ran yet couldn't the customer just rinse the crankcase out with Brake Clean or gasoline & then re-lubricate with a lighter oil? You could inject a thinning agent through the ports for the main bearings as well..........

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but it seems like if the assy. lube is the only problem these issues could be rectified without pulling the engine.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I was informed that there are extenuating circumstances involved with this issue. Suffice it to say that Indy Specialties reputation was not built on substandard workmanship & the answers to the questions many may have will come in due course.

Last edited:
G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Boost

I understand that PI won't warranty a boosted sled. My point is that I got 2100 miles boosted out of that motor and sled never went back to shop. My Indy motor has been sent back a couple of times in less than 500 miles. I know Indy will stand behind his stuff that is not by beef. While u that don't mind having your sleds motor pulled in and out, I do! It's more work that I shouldn't have to do. It's more unplugging and replugging of stock and turbo componenents and removing bolts and staters, water pumps etc.. The chances of stuff breaking or connections not making proper contact can happen even with the closest of eyes. I know things happen that r out of our control, but in Indys case it's not my problem, it's their job to send me a finished product. I too run a business and I don't get the same luxury with my customers of making mistakes. When all of u purchased your motors did u expect to have to return it numerous times? If you knew would u buy it? I think not, unless u r an un-educated consumer.
This forum is to educate each other and inform.
I've had my education
My last post on issue
Thanks

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
I will be having Dan build my next motor... His style of business and willingness to Stand up and make things right to his customers, means more to a guy like me than the trouble of pulling a motor and sending it back in. Too bad that we just don't have more guys like Dan out there..... But I am a old school kind of a guy when it comes down to it kind of like a hand shake on a deal is just like a contract....

P
Nov 22, 2009
WTF ?

Ghost I agree with you, how could anyone stick up for B.S that your going through. Once maybe anymore than that is horse sh*t!!!
I wonder if all these guys running to defend this would feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot. Warranty doesn't mean crap if you can't ride !!!
Just my 2 c

jims68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
bismarck, nd
My experience with Dan has been no BS and what I have bought works. If you ask him a question you will get an answer back but he is a man of task so it better be a good question! As far as his warranty that is what it is a warranty! How did any of you survive the last 40 years of snowmobiling? It use to have the inherent distinction of drive one hour work on for four! Countless bad ideas and just plain bad customer service. All the years of you were the test animal for the manufactors! Gee isn't that what Dan is actually fixing is a flaw in manufacturing and design of said motor? Hell I wish I had all the wasted time and money I wasted on my Duramax for harness issues and cooling issues! One, two, three times into the dealer and weeks without resolution! But then I will take the old 05 over the new ones and all the regen issues! As far as sticking up for Dan! I don't think he will take or want it. He is a big boy and will handle all of this all by himself. Actions speak LOUDLY with him. Get your rant out of the way and move on! Don't keep it all balled up inside! Merry Christmas!!!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Ghost I agree with you, how could anyone stick up for B.S that your going through. Once maybe anymore than that is horse sh*t!!!
I wonder if all these guys running to defend this would feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot. Warranty doesn't mean crap if you can't ride !!!
Just my 2 c

Do you have one of his motors? I doubt it. Maybe this should only be commented on by IS motor owners.

My motor is there, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I bought a used sled so I could afford for Dan to build my motor. I have had BB motors from Dan that will withstand 20 lbs of boost plus. I haven't had a single problem. Buddies with 5,000 + miles that haven't cracked the motor open.

As stated the circumstances are extenuating. I have been in his shoes. It is not enjoyable. Knowing Dan he feels worse than some of you are mad. Dan's warranty does mean something, he stands behind his products. He is the kind of person that has fixed things out of his own pocket when he didn't need to. That's the kind of person I want on my side.

Last edited:
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Complaining about a guy that calls you ahead of time and tells you that there "may" be a failure and that he wants to fix it is unfathamable to me...
Just run the engine and deal with the consequences if there are any besides it rips...

Last edited:
Premium Features