• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy 500 low end bog in warm temps

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Would larger pilots in 38mm Mikunis help my bog in my 1990 500? I know my clutches are good (new primary and have been through the secondary), sled was running great a few weeks ago with the colder air, but now that its warming im picking up a bog.

Motor has about 300 miles on the full rebuild, I'm running between 9000 and 12000 feet, 210 mains, 40 pilots, 6F9 needles w/ clip in third slot, Q-0 needle jet, 3.0 throttle cutaway, 1 3/4 turns out on the air screws, stock exhaust. It will run well early morning when its around 10 F, but later in the day the bog becomes very frustrating around 35 F. Do I sound rich on the mains? Mid range doesn't get the bog all day (suggesting needle set up is good?) and top end loses a little power in the warmer air, but the low end is pathetic once the air temp comes up.

The Clymer manual I have says that if off idle pickup is poor (it is) when in very cold air or at high altitude to install larger pilot jets. This seems odd to me as cold air would lean the motor whereas high altitude would richen it (assuming no changes to carburation).

I had a bog issue earlier in the season, I had 190 mains, heard a backfire at 6500rpm on the trail, everything else set up the same as stated above. Installed 210's immediately after (at the truck that day) and it was like a whole new machine.

Any help is appreciated.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
It sounds like you might be rich in your pilot range. In the morning the air is more dense which leans it out. Try adjusting your fuel or air screw to lean it out a little more if you haven't already.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Air Screw Adjustment

Well, I went out Saturday, another warm one, and it ran great (wheelies all day on the climbs:face-icon-small-hap). I turned the air screws out to 2 1/4 turns out before the ride started. So I guess I just have to do this every day that the weather is any different, not complaining about it cus its definitely worth it to do so and is a simple adjustment.

So now I'm wondering if turning the air screws out leans out the mixture or does it richen it. I thought turning them out richened it, as the manual I have says that turning them clockwise (in) leans the mixture and counterclockwise (out) richens it.

Either way, now I know I have all the right parts in it, just have to keep up on the adjustment.

Thanks for your input Spiderman.

Premium Features