• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If the ground is bad on your voltage regulator will the sled still start?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Will a sled still start and function without a voltage regulator?

Is there any way to check proper operation of the voltage regulator while it's installed in the machine?

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
Yes on older machines and I think so on newer models. the ignition system is normally separate from the charging system.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
fix-it guy is right.

You can test the voltage regulator by starting the machine and bringing the RPMs up almost to engagement. Then using a volt meter check any solid yellow line for voltage output. It shouldn't be over 14 volts or so. If it's much more than that the voltage reg is bad.

Also, if it is a bunch lower, like 5-7 volts, with RPMs up in the 3000+ range the voltage reg is bad.

sled_guy

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Cool, I'll check it tomorrow.

It was suggested to me that the reason my 99 700 kept blowing headlights and such was a faulty voltage regulator, so I got one and swapped it out today...the instructions said to caulk the backing plate to absorb vibration.

Apparently its a wonderful thing I am not the guy redoing peoples bathrooms, because i caulked it WAY too much and it got everywhere and I have no idea if the regulator is even grounded now :eek:

I'll splice the yellow wire and check tomorrow :D

haha :D

T
Nov 26, 2007
Ronald, WA.
Cool, I'll check it tomorrow.

It was suggested to me that the reason my 99 700 kept blowing headlights and such was a faulty voltage regulator, so I got one and swapped it out today...the instructions said to caulk the backing plate to absorb vibration.

Apparently its a wonderful thing I am not the guy redoing peoples bathrooms, because i caulked it WAY too much and it got everywhere and I have no idea if the regulator is even grounded now :eek:

I'll splice the yellow wire and check tomorrow :D

haha :D

My 99 700 was doing the same thing plus melting my handwarmers. New regulator fixed it right up

Premium Features