• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Humming sound w/vibration.

T
Mar 18, 2013
Just got a 2005 King Cat EFI and really like it a lot, what a monster! Rode it on and off trail this past weekend for 280 miles and noticed a humming/whirring sound that makes my gas tank and handgrips buzz slightly at speed. It's hard to explain exactly but it's loud enough to hear over a MBRP can. I'm new to this machine and not sure if it's normal or not. Could the track be too tight, or maybe the driveshaft bearing going out? The sled has 1800 miles and is stock except for the can.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
When you get off the trail the front suspension (in the skid) drops down as the snow gets soft. If your limiter straps are all the way out the track will vibrate and slap the hyfax at the front of the skid. You can suck up the limiter strap a bit and it will be much better. Also when you start pointing it uphill with the loose strap the front end on the old girl will be WAY in the air. Super fun to ride like this but you really loose control and honestly unless you have major HP mods you will loose some height on a climb with the front end that far in the air.

Thunder

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Could be your PTO side drive shaft bearing. It seams like my 900 ate one ever other year. Got to the point that changing that bearing was part of the preseason maintenance.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Also check your hyfax wear by the front rail cross bar. If you can slide a 1/2" wrench over it the track nubs will rub on the cross bar. You do get a little noise and vibs from the anti ratchets.

T
Mar 18, 2013
thanks for the help so far. Is it the crossbar where the front shock mounts? I did notice it looked really clean and shiny where the track has made contact. Also, the rubber "nubs" look like they have been hitting too a little. I checked the hyfax near this area and they are worn pretty low, near the front idler wheels.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
thanks for the help so far. Is it the crossbar where the front shock mounts? I did notice it looked really clean and shiny where the track has made contact. Also, the rubber "nubs" look like they have been hitting too a little. I checked the hyfax near this area and they are worn pretty low, near the front idler wheels.

Yep, the mount hole is "egged" out. When you are getting the rails welded up have them weld the hole up and redrill.

What I did for a quick fix, not that it's right is I redrilled a new hole about 3/4" ahead of the old hole and moved the shock forward a bit. Not the right way, but for my kid that only weights 125# it will get him through the season until I can pull the skid and fix it.

Thunder

T
Mar 18, 2013
Okay, well it sounds like my skid needs a tune up. I plan on replacing the slides as they are really worn near the front of the skid. Thinking Iceage rails are in my future!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Back when they first came out with the slide suspension I put a set of hyfax on that were right to the end of the rail and square cut. It took about a mile and I had wrecked the track, knocked out the cross bars. If you have reverse it is even more important to taper them and leave some rail out the back. Just look at the natural curve to the track as it comes off the back of the slides. I would not waste my money on the tool. Spin the retaining bolt out and tap with a punch until you get a hold of them with a vice grip.

Premium Features