• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How tall of track with 8 lug drivers?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i put a 8 tooth 1 1/2 on my xlt.ill go out measure in a little while after coffee:).

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
How tall of track could you put on the 96 Ultra with the stock 9 tooth drivers? Anyone have experience putting 8 tooth drivers on an XLT?

I have done a dozen or more of these. A 1 1/2" is about tops with 9 tooth drivers. Go to the 8 tooth and you can fit a 2". Pretty easy to change the drivers out. You must have a press thought to change them out. Make sure to measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the center of each driver before taking the old ones off for reference as to where to put the new ones on.

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
I have done a dozen or more of these. A 1 1/2" is about tops with 9 tooth drivers. Go to the 8 tooth and you can fit a 2". Pretty easy to change the drivers out. You must have a press thought to change them out. Make sure to measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the center of each driver before taking the old ones off for reference as to where to put the new ones on.

yeah ultra rider has it rite, was very tight squeeze to get 1 1/2 into my 96 xlt 8 tooth's will do the trick for 2 inch track. My friends 96 ultra fit a 1.75 with the 9 tooth's, bulkheads are a little different.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I had read that 1.25 was the tallest track that would fit on an XLT with 9 tooth drivers (without dropping/rolling the chaincase). I have 1" paddles now, and when I put my fingers between the paddles and the cooler it feels like there is about 1/2" clearance. Is it different for the early 90s XLTs?

I'm buying used 8 tooth drivers already on a drive shaft so I won't have to deal with having them pressed on.

Premium Features