• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How does SLP M8 and M1000 porting compare to RK Tek or MPM?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
slp vs. rk tek

I ride an 09 xfire 800. I live in eastern sd at about 1500 ft. i go to the black hills twice a year 4-7000 ft and want to go to the bighorns next year 6-1000'? I do about 500 miles of riding at home a year, so what do you think i should go with. The slp pipe kit or the rk tek head and clutch kit? i want it to be reliable and not burn down my sled. i dont want to get into a bd box because i no nothing about tuning, thats why i want an easy to use bolt on and ride product that will give me a good perfomance boost.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's right where I'm at on this issue too.

I do know how to tune but, I don't want to have to continually.

The SLP kit will be plug and play with a power commander preprogramed for your perimeters. It's the, what happens when you go to Cooke City that worries me.

The same with RK Tek. Their head has changable domes based upon the elevation you ride. That's great until you ride in a new area. I don't want to have to change domes to ride somewhere else. I'm sure you just buy domes based upon the lowest elevation which you "typically" ride.

My new sled is coming with a SLP pipe. Now, I hear that RK Tek porting and the SLP pipe do not compliment each other. So, I either don't get the pipe with the sled and use RK Tek porting or I do get the pipe and send my stuff to SLP instead of RK Tek. But, if I do that I know I'm leaving a lot of hp on the table. Hum????

Mntryder

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2002
Western Colorado
I have a 07 M8 with RKT porting and head. Ran it for a year that way and was happy.

Added a SLP pipe this year and it pulls even harder :D. After a little clutching and getting the BD numbers close, it seems to work together just fine.

I think you will be happy either way. (staying with one company or mixing it up a little).

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Kelsey told me he could make a head that would work at all elevations, he didnt say anything about having different domes, but you would probably get a lot more hp if you had different domes instead of just a general head. It would probably just be easier to get the slp performance package. I wish i had enough money to buy the power commander, slp pipe kit, and rk tek head and secondary and i wouldnt have to debate about it and wonder whether I make the right choice:(

Premium Features