• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Holz rear skid

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
The last trip I took on my 727 with a 07 Holz rear skid that has been working great I had some issues with too much ski pressure, so much that I got stuck on a paved road and couldn't cross without help. Found that the front track shock spring had unscrewed so I thought it was fixed. I'm putting the 727 back to a 600 for sale so I put the skid in my son's 08 700 rmk, put new fax on and went to the Big Horns but found that this sled acted the same way. When the sled is sitting without rider the limiter straps are way lose. Question is if I rebuild that shock will it help as I hate to screw the spring way up and start trenching as I didn't have to before.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The last trip I took on my 727 with a 07 Holz rear skid that has been working great I had some issues with too much ski pressure, so much that I got stuck on a paved road and couldn't cross without help. Found that the front track shock spring had unscrewed so I thought it was fixed. I'm putting the 727 back to a 600 for sale so I put the skid in my son's 08 700 rmk, put new fax on and went to the Big Horns but found that this sled acted the same way. When the sled is sitting without rider the limiter straps are way lose. Question is if I rebuild that shock will it help as I hate to screw the spring way up and trenching as I didn't have to before.

I am wondering if you might have a mounting issue ...

I do know that Holz recommends setting the limiter straps at 5.5-6" of travel with that skid ...

I don't know, if you are trenching that bad on that sled I am wondering if your clutching might be off ... what is your engagement speed?

The reason I ask is because I have the same skid on a heavier sled with my front track shock as look as it will go basically and I haven't really had any trouble with my sled trenching in the pow :confused:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
not worried about trenching unless I have to tighten the spring ,what's bothering is the ski pressure

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
not worried about trenching unless I have to tighten the spring ,what's bothering is the ski pressure

If you tighten up the front track shock, that will decrease your ski pressure ...

How tight do you already have it?

Can you post some pofile pics of how the sled is sitting?

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Here are some pics, I want to get the straps tight but not so as to trench.

727 001.jpg 727 002.jpg 727 003.jpg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I guess I don't know what is going on :confused:

I did have the same problem on pavement as you two weekends ago, but the sled has been just fine once it's on the snow ...

Have you measured out the front ride height of the sled? That needs to be set correctly as well ... I noticed that had a difference on how the Holz skid performed ... I'd set it 8.5" from the ground to your belly pan on the front end, make sure the sag is set right ..

Also, when you put the skid in ... did you set the limiter straps to the recomended 5.5-6" of travel ...?

I dont know I am just throwing stuff out here :confused:

It did take me some messing with mine to get it right but that was mainly because I'm a fatass and I didn't get the heavy duty spring in the rear :(

Premium Features