• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help With Steering Post

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
I have a forward mounted steering post on my KK, my issue is the lining inside the lower post where the ball shaft is gone causing severe play in steering, from the factory I see they inject something through a small hole to take up the play, has anyone ever tried to fill the gap above the ball to take out the play with some sort of product, any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks MADDOGWFO

GEDC0307.jpg

Last edited:
F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I don't think

I do not think they inject anything in the post. The hole you see is rivet. The ball is in a socket of sort that is inserted in the tube and then held in place with a rivet. The ball and socket are just loose from wear. Someone some where has a whole shelf full of new, tight inserts and you should just be able to drill out the rivet and insert a new ball and socket. Who that someone is I do not know.

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
I donot think they use a rivet, I have a new stock post and where the hole in the side is there is a black hard compound sticking out about 1/16 of a inch, CR Racing where I bought the post from tell me they take a stock post and bend it to fit the foward mounted postion and they have to keep the lower part of the post cool in water so it does not destroy the compound, I bought the new post and thinking of have it bent the same way CR racing did but would like to get the old one fixed

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hmm

You may be right on that. I suppose they could inject some plastic in there after the ball in in place. Having a replaceable ball and socket makes more sense but then you could actually "fix it" instead of shelling out for a new post. My idea is more logical but wouldn't sell many posts I guess.

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Hope It Works

Went to Home Depot and bought a Locktight Epoxy that mixes when applied, it came with a small tube that fit perfectly in the hole on the post, it took the whole tube of Epoxy to fill the gap above the ball, has it harded I slowly moved ball so it would not bond to the Epoxy, it took out all the slack I had, hopefully it will last, time will tell, MADDOGWFO

Premium Features