• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP not oiling

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
so I took my 05 166 into the dealer to have the rest of the recalls done while it was there I had them do a couple other things as I was short on spare time. they did the fuel tank pump and harness, an alignment, and replaced the oiler cable for me.. took the sled out Saturday and it ran great for 30 min but then the light started flashing, when I shut it off it wouldn't start for 20 min or so.... I thought it might be my throttle body boots as those were worn I had a new one already too. so I threw that on and fired it up, I noticed no oil in exhaust its just clean and smells like straight gas, no oil smell. I pulled the plugs and they are white obviously very lean..... called the dealer and they have no idea but are willing to charge me to figure it out, any ideas why my sled wouldn't be oiling properly?? it didn't do this before so im assuming its something they did but I suppose there is that small chance of coincidence??? any help is appreciated. thanks guys..

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Doesn't sound like they did anything to affect the oiler except change the cable so I'd start there....look at the oil pump and make sure the mark is lined up and then look to ensure that the arm is moving correctly when you push the throttle.

If everything checks out ok, I'd recommend loosening the oil bleed screw to make sure that oil comes out immediately...although this shouldn't have any issues based on the work they did.

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
it was the engine light flashing. also I am not certain its something they did, it just seems like a huge coincidence that I've never had this issue I took it to them and the first ride out within minutes it started happening. I will check the cable linkage though and I guess go from there. keep the ideas coming and ill keep you posted on what I find thanks guys

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Even if the cable broke or wasnt hooked up it should pump wide open instead of under oiling.
This is not true, there would be no tension pulling the oil pump arm and the spring on the arm would return to the idle position, so there would be enough oil to keep it running right at an idle but there would not be enough at higher rpm's.

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
If the cable is not hooked to the pump arm, the spring on the pump will return it past the idle mark which im sure it will wide open or close to it,unless it sticks or something.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
If the cable is not hooked to the pump arm, the spring on the pump will return it past the idle mark which im sure it will wide open or close to it,unless it sticks or something.
This could be true and you may be right. I'm pretty sure the arm doesn't wrap the entire way around, I think it would have to stop at some point. So in my mind, if it would go too far past the idle mark then it would be completely shut off. I'm sure someone on here has a better understanding of the pump and straighten me out. haha :face-icon-small-win

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
I haven't even had a chance to do it.... work work work hah im hoping Saturday or sunday I can get a look

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
well I finally had some time last night to take a look. the oil pump is lined up properly, and everything seems to be ok. so I decided to pop off the feed line from the tank to see if I was getting oil. lo and behold no oil (tank is full mind you) so I followed the line up and sure enough its been kinked and zip tied up with some other pieces of harness..... so I cut the zip tie unkinked the line and flow resumed. so that should solve that issue. however while I had the throttle bodies a broken bolt on the right intake boot. I put those on myself and torqued them but I did use the old bolts so maybe it was a crappy bolt or something?? its the bottom corner one though and its broke flush so it will have to be drilled. I guess its time to pull this motor. my friend owns a machine shop so he can chuck it and drill press the S.O.B. so it does mess up the aluminum around the bolt.. all I can say is at least this gives me the chance to scrub the entire chassis and motor clean. any advice before I get started?

Premium Features