• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me design a custom air intake for my 900

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, I'm not screwing with these offset boots anymore ... that is hoakey as hell doing it that way.

The pipe rests squarley on the boost box and you can't get the y-pipe / pipe / can to line up for **** doing it this way ...

So anyways, here's my idea:

Take two sections of 2.5" silicon hose, about 1-1.5' in length, coming straight off the throttle bodies, going down into the nose of the sled, connected to two small peices of PVC pipe with a pod filter/prefilter attatched to that ... basically just run this straight down to where the nose vent on the sled is, then come up with some way of securing the hose to the bumper ... All it would have to be is just a metal loop attatched to the bumper struts ...

What do you all think? I think i am gonna try to do it this way, trying to "offset" that boost box is a pretty hoakey deal ...

Question is, where can I buy pods and prefilters at?

S
Nov 30, 2007
Jegs has some nice stainless pipe pieces and angles that folks use with the silicone connectors on turbo diesels. They also have the K&N filters to fit them.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I believe yours is an 06 also?? I've been running the stock airbox and boost box all season with the SLP pipe. The pipe has about 1/2 inch clearance to the boost box seal and has barely burned the rubber seal (no heat tape) and has been fine all year. I bought the offset hoses from firenice but have been too lazy to install them. Sleds ran so good I hate to mess with anything.

I think I'd be careful running a different type of intake. These sleds need a alot of "ready to go" air stored (for lack of a better description) especially fuelie motors. Eric 'small' bore (LOL) had an issue with his motor last year with a fabricated air box.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Dogmeat, I'm getting rid of the SLP airbox on mine because I want to go to the '09-up belly pan/ bumper, etc. I've ordered a new stock boost box and have come up with what I think is a good solution for the intake. I bought an intercooler piping kit off ebay. It's 3" aluminum pipe - 1/16" wall. Kit came with two each of the following : straight, 45*, 75*, 90* as well as straight silicon connector hoses, two 90* silicon hoses and a pile of clamps. Kit was around $49.00/US. I also ordered a K&N filter to fit the 3" pipe and a K&N Drycharger prefilter. The plan is to fab an adapter (3" dia.) to go on the boost box where the airbox normally sits. From there I'll use the necessary bends from the pipe kit to run above my belt guard, which is where I'll mount the filter. If I run my Diamond S hood, cold air won't be an issue. However, if I decide to run the stock hood, I'll cut openings in the hood to line up with the filter and likely cover the holes with an SLP (or similar) shock well vent. It kinda sounds complicated, but I've looked it over many times and taken lots of measurements and I think it'll be a pretty easy fab job. Once I get started, I'll post some pics.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Dogmeat, I'm getting rid of the SLP airbox on mine because I want to go to the '09-up belly pan/ bumper, etc. I've ordered a new stock boost box and have come up with what I think is a good solution for the intake. I bought an intercooler piping kit off ebay. It's 3" aluminum pipe - 1/16" wall. Kit came with two each of the following : straight, 45*, 75*, 90* as well as straight silicon connector hoses, two 90* silicon hoses and a pile of clamps. Kit was around $49.00/US. I also ordered a K&N filter to fit the 3" pipe and a K&N Drycharger prefilter. The plan is to fab an adapter (3" dia.) to go on the boost box where the airbox normally sits. From there I'll use the necessary bends from the pipe kit to run above my belt guard, which is where I'll mount the filter. If I run my Diamond S hood, cold air won't be an issue. However, if I decide to run the stock hood, I'll cut openings in the hood to line up with the filter and likely cover the holes with an SLP (or similar) shock well vent. It kinda sounds complicated, but I've looked it over many times and taken lots of measurements and I think it'll be a pretty easy fab job. Once I get started, I'll post some pics.

This sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the K & N filters. Would love to see some pics of homemade intake if anyone has one!!!!!

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Have you seen the "Farmer Intake". This is over on the 900 Club.

joshsairboxandsled0lu.jpg

joshssled1yy.jpg

900 Intake thread

I've heard of good results running the stock air box gutted. Do you think a filter like shown above would get good airflow when riding in over the hood powder for any amount of time when the windshield down is basically all snow.?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Do you think a filter like shown above would get good airflow when riding in over the hood powder for any amount of time when the windshield down is basically all snow.?

jsledder, I don't think it will be an issue. My SLP intake takes over 90% of it's air through the nose of the sled and my sled's never bogged even when the nose is buried most of the day.

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.

Sounds like what I did... I just used the bottom half of the stock air box as a clutch guard. Stuffed 3.5" duct into through the air box adapter to boost box.. Sealed with ultra black and clamped on a K&N Filter/SnowPre Filter... Air box/clutch guard off in 30 seconds!!! I have a diamond S mesh hood and 2 Kewl vents on both sides so I get lot's of fresh air.. The old air box acts like a heat shield to ensure cold air!!!

I'm at work right now and can't tell if the pictures from the old thread still work... Here is the link... I'll check later to see if it works..

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71072

Intake runs Flawless in Deep snow with and without the Mesh Hood.... Found myself getting cocky last year and running in spring time surprise powder at high elevations with no problems!!!!

Tried and True... not to mention I can use the aftermarket bumpers.... Sorry the pictures are old and sled was beat up a bit... If the pictures in the thread don't work I'll post some when I get home for you....

Keep is Simple amigo... The stock boost box has the air sensor in the right place... Carefull with the proposed design coming off each intake to the throttle bodies.... There was a company offering a similar set up back in the day and it sucked!!!

Try not to pull air from the nose cone section!!!!! Put vents on your hood above the filter if you have no diamond S mesh hood..... You will be happy!!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007

I've thought about doing that this summer. Use the stock airbox plastics, cut the top off and mount an intake like that to it.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

That actually sounds like a good idea ... When you get it fabbed up post pics and let us all see how that works, I would definatley be interested in doing something like that ..

For now it's gonna be bailing wire though, I don't like that "offset" method at all ... too hoakey :(

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Dog

Sorry those last pictures were lame... Work blocks out pictures etc.

Here is one I had hosted from last year that will give you a better idea of what I did. I just heat tape the rubber union that goes over the boost box and airbox/clutch guard to prevent melting.

The stock clutch guard acts as a heat shield to prevent drawing in pipe heat.

Vent above the filter on the stock hood. 2 kewl side vents. Ride Deep Pow all day long....

Simple and it works!!!

Good Luck

apictureofmysled001qq3.jpg

M

mtnclmr

Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Here are some pics of both my "farmer" intakes. Yes that is the stock upper plenum with prefilter glued over it! Actually worked quite well. The filter is what I run now, with a mesh hood, it works great.

intake1.JPG intake2.jpg

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
The pipe rests squarley on the boost box and you can't get the y-pipe / pipe / can to line up for **** doing it this way ...

I'm pretty sure if this is true you have some problems somewhere

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
This is one of my projects this sumer as well. I have issues with every intake out there on some level and I have or have had them all ! Yes even the Fire and Ice airbox which is the best I agree. I made an intake similar to that you describe and It worked Great but I think its wise to have the air temp sensor in a place common to the entire volume of the airflow like where its mounted in the stock boost box. If I hear what your saying the finsied product would be similar to the Fabcraft intake correct? in that case the air temp sensor in mounted in only the one of the tubes = 1/2 total airflow is measured which increases the chance of inaccuracy and might cause a lean or rich condition as a result.This is my theory anyway. I am still brainstorming and refining several ideas but like always I just need to tear the sled down and see what will actually work and make it . Yesterday was likley me last day this season :( guess its time start the summer mods!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I'm pretty sure if this is true you have some problems somewhere

I don't think so. For some reason, some of the 06's with the SLP pipe set-up allow the pipe to actually rub the stock boost box. I know what Doggy is talkin about. I spent hours on mine trying to get the pipe spaced further away from the boost box. One thing I had to do to gain a little clearance was to remove the bracket on the SLP can that holds it to the Chaincase assy. area. I tried endlessly to bend the bracket for better spacing but to no avail. I'm sure it could be shortened and rewelded in a different location.

The problem on the 06's is when you get the desired space between the boost box and pipe, the can ends up practically rubbing the chaincase cover. I ended up installing the heat insulation that MH rec'd. At least the 05's I've seen with the SLP pipe DO NOT have these tight clearance issues.

M

mtnclmr

Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I had the rub issue when I put in the 06 motor in (05 chassis). Obviously its not the motor but the 06 slp y pipe and pipe are different. I ended up notching out my intake and wrapping it with carbon fiber to cover the hole. You can see the indent but the carbon is under the heat tape.

Premium Features