• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hard turning 09 m8

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
rode a new m8 yesterday ,very nice sled except hard turning.got it back in the shop to look it over everything looked good nothing bent ect.raised the front end with floor jack to check air presure in the shocks 65 psi all good tried to turn the bars sled still on jack ,still stiff as ^%& . greased all front zerks no change, i think it's binding where the pitman's are on the splined shaft .snap ring-pitman-two washers. going to take one washer out, any ideas our bullitins

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
powderslut,found your post. and most things talked about in it deal with steering performance while riding toe in out ski presure limiterstraps front spring presure, and some of those ideas may help riding performance it doesn't adress the problem of the amount of effort to turn the bars even when jacked up on a stand, for a lack of a better word I would use siezed steering system. thank you for your reply:)

P
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I know exactly what you are talking about I had the front end jacked up on mine and it was actually squeeking when you moved the bars and it was much harder to turn than the 09 D8. I thought maybe a little grease would help with the effort but it didn't. Very frustrating though because I love the sled other wise. If you do find a solution please let me know!!

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
The two guys I know that have 09 M8's are both complaining about the same thing and one of them went as far as putting on a Timbersled front end....still hard steering. That leads to the post or the linkage as being the problem.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
just came in from shop. disconnected steering rod over engine ,handle bar assembly smooth as silk ,loosened drag link between towers still stiff. waitting for snap ring pliers to remove one washer above pitmans that seems to be where the binding is in the towers.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would check the ball joint on the bottom of the steering post and all of the heim joints in the steering system. Start unhooking one thing at a time until the steering loosens up and you will find it.

T
On my sled the ball joint at one of the spindle was wery hard to move when i got it of the sled.
I tryed with some fine oil but didnt help.
I was going to take it to the dealer but the next day it moved nice and easy.
I think the oli did get in to the ball joint over night.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
so far this is what we've figured out.both the inner and outer ball joints on tie rods are tight as tight can be,needed a screwdriver in hole to rotate ball joint.everything else moves freely . so the thought is to see if 08 ball joints will fit.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
i agree the hard steering problem is in tie rod ends.i took apart my o9 m8 and all other components moved nice and easy,it's the rod ends that are making the steering stiff.i just wonder if cat will come up with something or will we just have to live with it? over 600 kms on mine.

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
yup, I agree! Both mine and buddies are HARD to steer as well. Mine got worse, really bad. Found a grease gun while fueling during the middle of the day and greased the hell outta the spindles while turning the skis back and forth. Helped immensley, but buddy is still complaining. Now that we're back, we'll have a tear down on the front ends!!

T
Mar 19, 2009
Hey guys,

Is there a fix for the hard steering yet(dealer fix for tie rods).

We own 4 09 M8 Sno Pros(me, my brother, my dad and mom) all are hard to steer.

thanks

V
Mar 22, 2009
09 M8 snopro steering

My son had the same problem .would not turn like it was frozen.Put in heated garage warmed it up pumped 2 small grease tubes till it came out the top and bottom low temp grease.also greased the upper steering jerks. Sled is fine now turns easy. I felt they didn't put enough in when pdi was done.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Add one more to the list. I noticed this yestersday but, I chalked it up to heavy wet spring snow.

Also, mine seems to turn to the right more easily than it turns to the left for some reason.

Did anyone figure out if the 08 tie rod ends fit?

T
Mar 19, 2009
My son had the same problem .would not turn like it was frozen.Put in heated garage warmed it up pumped 2 small grease tubes till it came out the top and bottom low temp grease.also greased the upper steering jerks. Sled is fine now turns easy. I felt they didn't put enough in when pdi was done.

They didn't add enough grease on PDI, but my dad and I greased them just before we went out yesterday and they are full. Still hard to steer.

Frostbite I am not sure on the left or right, it feels stiff both ways.

Premium Features