• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gained 500 rpms on engagement.

I have the BD deflection adjuster kit, so I set the deflection the same as I normally do, then I changed my belt, I had about 250 miles in the other one and it was looking pretty bad and the engagement rpms stayed at 4000, I messed with the deflection a little. But it kept engageing at 4000. I'm lost and I was thinking about changeing to a Gold spring but now I'm not sure whats going on with the primary.

compare the length on your two belts.

Engagement was at 4000 with both belts. I have ran both belts in the past the new one only had about 10 break in miles on it but when i ran it before it had the same engagement as . How about the primary sheave to belt clearance? I haven't messed with it but if some how it was changed could that cause the increase in engagement?

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Depending on the cut of your helix, a steeper angle like a 42/36 will engage different. If your engaging at 4000 now and you put the gold primary in, you will engage around 3400.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Check for the rollers on the spider packing it in, and chewing on the weights. It did all kinds of odd things with the engagement, and having two weights custom ground down a couple grams didnt help in the end either. Or maybe the movable sheave bushing? Have a real good look around, you'll find something.

I figured I was going to need to take a close look at the primary, but I didn't think that going from a straight 36 to a 40/36 would change the engagement.
So if I want to go from 4k to 3k engagement I am going to need to get a lighter spring than a Gold and some lighter weights, or grind the ones I have. To keep my rpms at the top end. With the 40/36 helix, Is that right?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I figured I was going to need to take a close look at the primary, but I didn't think that going from a straight 36 to a 40/36 would change the engagement.
So if I want to go from 4k to 3k engagement I am going to need to get a lighter spring than a Gold and some lighter weights, or grind the ones I have. To keep my rpms at the top end. With the 40/36 helix, Is that right?

just try the gold...

Premium Features