• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Roger that. Chad at A2D and Logan at the Outpost both recommended some kind of Octane boost whether Torco or AV gas. Currently I run straight AV in my Silber Axys so I think I am going to do something to get that Octane up for my new Boost. Sucks we only get 90 in AK.
We're running 2 gallons of AV from Chena Marina in every tank with 90. One skidoo turbo and one polaris boost. Both run great.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If your older than the jeans your wearing, lived &drove in the 70's and 80's and remember the impurities some stations had in their tanks peddling **** gas you might remember. They didn't mandate that a in ground tank replacements until the mid 90's in my state and pushed a lot of owners out of business. Before then, with my 73 Plymouth 318 V8. or 72 Nova 396 V8, or 70 Cuda 440 V8, 79 Ford Econoline "Shaggin Wagon" 351 Windsor Van. Changing fuel filter, pulling the carb, cleaning the carb and flushing the fuel line from a crap tank of gas was pretty normal. But, before going through that, a little 104 and or Heet would sometimes clear it up and get rid of that bottom end of hesitation before you have to go through all that. So yeah, it would "Liven it up." But whatev, I have no real world life experience that trumps google.
All my experience with octane and engine response is with 2 stroke engines.

High octane when you have a stock compression and timing engine only makes for poor bottom end performance.

When did 4 stroke car engines running fuel from the 70’s and 80’s become applicable to 2 stroke snowmobile engines? (News flash the 80’s are over!!!)

I’m simply saying running higher octane “to be safe” is just an exercise in poor performance.

As for your thought about running high octane forcing you to rebuild your engine? Can’t help you with that misplaced fantasy……..

Too high of octane that burns slower than the engine is designed for certainly won’t hurt it though……..

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
For some stupid reason 2019 850 axys liked 2 gallons of av gas per 10 gallons it would gain 300 rpms tested it more than a few thinking it was snow conditions but it wasn’t.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
heating the gas via top of heat exchanger is another problem if you are trying to extract every pony you can get I paid for them I’d like to use them.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I love fuel talk. I do not believe anyone can differentiate throttle response changes when running low percentages of high octane (ie 1-2 gallons per tank of av/100ll/110/C12 Etc.) mixed with fresh fuel.

Half and half, maybe. Straight, likely in a back to back comparison. Assuming they have covid and can't smell the difference in exhaust smell lol.

However, it is a common misconception that high octane is always an indicator as to burn speed, speed of vaporization/etc. It sometimes has correlation, however, many of the very high octane fuels, also vaporize very well, and burn very quickly.

There are two stokes that spin 15,000 rpm. Can't do that on low octane, and fuel that burns and vaporizes slowly. Sunoco Maximal for example.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I saw something on Motor Trend TV a month or two ago doing dyno runs to compare power for 87 and 92 pump gas, and 100 octane race gas (I don't remember any word of ethanol, so pretty sure it was all eth-free). I remember the mule being an LS crate motor, but it may have been a 350; either way, it was running modern pistons and heads, and the compression was 10:1. There was no improvement in power going to high-octane fuel. In fact, the most power by a slight margin was from the 87. They could overshoot the timing more without getting knock with the higher octane, but that was the only advantage. The take-away is that more octane is not a power benefit in itself: the advantage is a safety margin and/or the ability to run higher compression or boost.

So there shouldn't be any power benefit to running more than eth-free premium on an unmodified Boost (or any factory sled), and in a perfect world you should never have a reason to run any more than that. Trouble is, blindly trusting v1.0 products (especially in powersports) is a recipe for failure. In general too, the safety margin benefit is more likely to come into play on a high-performance mountain sled, even unmodified, than a performance street car (assuming it's got modern EFI). You've got more extreme conditions, more moisture exposure, and less sophisticated engine management. To be honest, if it were me, I'd mix in a couple gallons of high octane or avgas until the current mapping is proven, or a new one comes out and some people get some miles on it. Once we get to that point, or next year on a '23 Boost, I'd see no reason to keep adding octane.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
For some stupid reason 2019 850 axys liked 2 gallons of av gas per 10 gallons it would gain 300 rpms tested it more than a few thinking it was snow conditions but it wasn’t.
My main riding buddy swore the same thing on his 07 xrs but usually over octane mean less performance

D
Dec 15, 2020
Not Bolivia...But I think you might be able to see it from here. Black Hills. Before I moved here we used to come out in the 90's and early 2000's. Buckhorn, Rec Springs, Trailshead only carried 85. We'd top off all the tanks in Rapid City before going up the hill paying 1 1/2 to 2x as much for 85. In this state it's hard to find 91+ that isn't ethanol. I miss the days as a teen in Sioux Falls where you could pull up to a pump and put a bit of 104 octane in the tank to liven up the motor while the guy across from you it filling up his sprint cars to run Husets that night as he looks at you like, "kid your going to learn how to rebuild an engine real quick." but then you stop and switch to regular leaded and he realizes you just cleaning out the fuel system (pre injector cleaner days.). So many cheap quality fuel choices then for sleds.
I'm a Eastern SD native also and do remember the 85 octane in the hills. I always found it funny that the Western side and much Higher elevation part of SD had such low octane fuel at the pumps. But in Watertown (my home town) we had 90-93 octane at almost all gas stations and still to this day! Luckily the Hills don't seem to get snow anymore so I don't have to deal with 85 octane BS.. Just silly that a place with one of the longest snowmobile / ATV trail systems in the world and hosts the Sturgis Bike Rally is still in the 1980's with the octane levels. (its changed some recently but still)

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Where is the pump exactly at Chena Marina. I live up the hill on the ridge and have been getting my AV gas at the East Ramp at the main airport for years for my sleds.
Ok so kind of hard to explain but hear me out. If you go to the actual “chena marina” hanger that google maps takes you to, turn left toward the air strip, then take a right just before you hit the runway (don’t drive onto the strip), it’s about 200 feet and on the right under a little shelter with a light. You’ll see the hose reel and the pump. You’ll need an airplane tail number so I usually just use one from an old receipt nearby.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
heating the gas via top of heat exchanger is another problem if you are trying to extract every pony you can get I paid for them I’d like to use them.
Exactly how hot do you think several gallons of below-freezing fuel with constant cooling is getting from a 100 F heat exchanger that's also using the entire tunnel as a heat sink? I bet the fuel in your car on a spring day is warmer.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Exactly how hot do you think several gallons of below-freezing fuel with constant cooling is getting from a 100 F heat exchanger that's also using the entire tunnel as a heat sink? I bet the fuel in your car on a spring day is warmer.
4 stroke vs 2 and turbo why do we use ice to cool the fuel in a 9 second 1/4 mile car. As I have said in the past if anyone had tunned a big bore or turbo 2 stroke with a carb for max performance would know this is a bad idea

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I have ran ethanol, non-ethanol, av gas, race gas, octane booster in turbos, mods, 2-stroke, 4-stroke sleds, bikes, planes and autos. Any pump gas varies in performance depending on the mix/season and where you get it. Av and race gas are the most consistent. At the end of the day, pick a brand and try to stick with it...and run it. I've always ran the recommended octane...If you detonate, add some octane until it stops. I add royal purple octane booster if I need it because it doesn't alter the fuel density or tune, is cheap, available and it works. If you don't detonate, leave it alone and just stay consistent. And that said, I have seen way more issues and burn downs when someone runs a different fuel mix because they leaned it out too much, not because it detonated. Just find your preference and run it and stay consistent.

Premium Features