• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel question

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok I'm having a heated debate with my roommate....He says that the temperature of a gallon of fuel will cause it to increase or decrease in weight...oh and also is a gallon of fuel lighter than a gallon of water

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Temp. will not cause wieght change only the volume it takes up if you buy a gallon can of fuel. But a gallon out of a pump will be lighter the warmer the fuel is. Water is heavier . HV

W
Nov 26, 2007
Snoqualmie, WA
Weight will change with temp. If you look at a COI for a fuel load on say jet fuel it states that the fuel weight is 6.xxx pounds per gallon at 60 degrees. The colder the fuel is, the denser it is.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Wieght will change. With a big enough temp. difference fuel will vaporize. Thats why your plastic gas cans bulge out in the heat of a summer day. With this amount gone is is bound to change some. probably not much but some.

00buck

Nov 26, 2007
Ok I'm having a heated debate with my roommate....He says that the temperature of a gallon of fuel will cause it to increase or decrease in weight...oh and also is a gallon of fuel lighter than a gallon of water

You guys must be really bored !!!!:D

O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
Oki, any gas will change weight with temp. Look at Lng...In gas form, Natural gas is ligther than air. When in Liquid form, heavier...physics...

ps, here's a pic of a boat going from the gas plant I work at, with LNG to you guys. It deliveres in Cove point. Now, if it had been in gas form, it would take 6000 times as much room to get it there....but, we make it so cold, it becomes liquid, and we need MUCH less room on the boat to get it there...

(D4MNED that was baldy explained)

melkoya_jan01_07.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
If a walleye had an opposing thumb it still would have no use for a comb.

WHAT????:confused:

I know that they say to be sure you gas up in summer early in the morning, or late at night, because the volume will change, and the pumps measure by volume...

I suppose, if you take a gallon of gas and weigh it in the morning, it would be heaver then, then if you measure out a gallon it the heat of the day... but it would only be a minuscule amount.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Water weighs ~8.33 lb/gal ... gasoline is ~6.4, diesel is ~6.8 ...

technically yes, temperature does effect the density of a fluid but, below the vaporization point, you can call gasoline an incompressible fluid for all practical purposes ...

W
Dec 28, 2004
Idaho
It depends on what speed you are going at the time you weigh anything. I weigh more in the winter due to my geographic location at which I am on at this tilt of the earths axis. In the summer things weigh slightly less because I am spining faster due to earths rotaion.

Premium Features