• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel dribbling out of carbs?

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Hey guys... just wanting to check something before moving ahead.

So, I finally got my KC900 to fire up today. Let a hair-dryer run in the closed hood for 30 min or so... just to warm the block up a little. She fired right up and smoked up the garage pretty quickly.

Once I was satisfied and turned her off... I notice a small puddle of fuel forming under her. Took a peek and after removing the airbox and lifting the belt guard, I found a pretty steady drip coming out from under the carb.

So I loosened up the carbs and then removed the coolant line... spilling coolant all over me and the belt. (oops!) So when I finally got the carb flipped up where I could see what was leaking... turns out there's a nipple under there... for what I thought was an overflow hose. Must not be though... because it has/had (dropped it and now it's gone under the engine) a hose stop. On closer inspection, I've got two... one on each carb... but the one on the right carb was leaking out fuel.

I've got other overflow lines, so I don't think it's a problem and if it IS supposed to be an overflow, as much as it was dribbling out, I don't imagine I'd have much gas left after a few minutes of that.

So... obviously I'm not much of a mechanic. I tried to replace the plug/stopper but I don't have any "caps" that small. So before I run by the auto parts store and pick something up... should I assume this is safe and ok?

I looked for the part at RV Sports Inc. because they have a nice parts blow-up and I could only find drain hose nipples, not a nipple to be plugged.

Appreciate any tips or advice from any of you guys familiar with the carbed sled. Thanks in advance.

R
I agree. One water trap, one screw to the bottom of the bowl to drain and remove and change jets etc, and one small screw as a holding source to keep the carb together; a safety if you will.
We need a picture...

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
OK... so the one on the left side (actually, right side carb if sitting on the sled) has the nipple coming out to the inside, the carb on the right has the same nipple, still plugged but it's coming out the center.

I'm confused as hell... but I ran it plugged the first season and last season. :face-icon-small-con
Obviously it's not plugged well... or I'd have never noticed it leaking, but seems more just to cover the drain hole.

I've got a pic... I sure would like to see a pic of someone else's working setup though. Thanks again guys.

fuel_drain-(1).JPG

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Those are for a water trap. There is supposed to be about a 1 inch long plugged hose attached to the nipple. It is for water to collect so it doesn't get into the main jet. With the hose gone fuel runs straight out the bottom of the float bowl and out the belly pan onto the ground. The engine will not be getting any fuel from that carb. Run it that way very long and you will take out your connecting rod bearing since if that side gets no fuel it also gets no oil. Hope this helps

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Helps in a major way Idcatman! Thank you. That is exactly the info I was looking for.
I haven't ran it at all, since I found the leak (probably just the float stuck) and tried to figure it out. Ended up dropping the cap into the bellypan. I suppose the caps provided roughly the same function as the slightly longer, capped 1" hose.

So... I'll see what I can order from RV Sports to get the proper form and function out of both. Knowing that makes it worth the effort and easier to understand when making the order.

EDIT AD: So I checked RV Sports online parts and I find a drain hose and hose clamp (#2 & #3)... but no plug of any kind there?!?
http://www.rvsports.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Arctic_Cat/2004_KING_CAT_900_ORANGE_%28S2004KKJKKUSO%29/CARBURETOR_AND_FUEL_PUMP_ASSEMBLY/S2004KKJKKUSO/S2004MCJ5CUSG

Looking like this is something I may have to come up with on my own?

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
The hose is already capped at one end. You can accomplish the same thing with a short piece of fuel line with a plug in it for less money. A 1/4 aluminum solid rivet makes a good plug but they can be hard to find.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I had one start leaking while on a trip and I just took a piece of hose and looped it between the two, never did replace the nipple. I think I just cut a piece of the vent line and stuck it on. One of those "on the hill" fixes.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I was actually thinking about that option... seems easy enough, takes care of both nipples and gives a little space to let the water drain/sit.

I assume it eventually evaps from the heat of the engine... after a bit. Good to know it won't be a problem though.

Premium Features