• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Florence Hair Club

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So, I'll throw this back up on the forum, because I don't know if I've shared it on here.

If you are interested in giving something toward those going through cancer treatment, consider donating hair to a company who makes natural hair wigs for cancer patients. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THEM because a certain company does NOT provide wigs to cancer patients....ahem, Locks of Love...cough cough)

In August of 2013 I conceived the idea of growing my hair out to donate it. I had been a very short haired person for a very long time, probably 30 years (shaved head the last 13)
Something inside of me decided that growing my hair long would fulfill a few things... Curiosity of what I'd look like, a bucket list item, and to support a friend who was going through her second bout of cancer.

I started by talking my children into it also. I figured I could bring others into it and make a "thing" out of it.
I guess I have succeeded. It's been a beautiful thing that's come out of it.
At this point we've collected 209 hair donations from 275 friends committed to growing and donating.

Participation began very locally, but through word of mouth, we have donors sending in hair donations in the name of Florence Hair Club from 8 states (Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Wyoming (SW's sweet-hearted WyoSteph has donated), Utah and Michigan (US Olympic Wrestler, Jake Herbert).

We've had three public hair donations, two if which collected over 50 donations each at school assemblies, the third was at a college tailgate that aired on the local news. My students have had very selfless experiences as they slowly grow hair and blindly give a piece of themselves to a total stranger in need.

Four years later, I have grown 22" of hair. I cut it the first time at 12".
Now my hair is almost 10" long again and I'm getting closer to making my second full hair donation.

Last night I gave my son his first routine haircut in four years. He has now donated 12" and 8" in his two donations.

If you or someone you know is interested in donating hair, please check out our Facebook page for information or help in donating. I have some downloads there to guide you.
www.facebook.com/FlorenceHairClub

The thoughts, conversations and emotion that have been brought out by this project has been nothing short of special and powerful for so many people.
Share your stories here if you wish.

Last edited:
Premium Features