• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flipped Trailers

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Something that no one wants to see or be involved with, but how often do you guys see sled trailers flipped over on the road? I usually see one a year, but I've already seen two this season. Both occurred in very strong crosswind situations with little or no ice. First one was two weekends ago outside of Livingston, MT. That was a 4 place enclosed aluminum behind a crew cab DRW truck. Buddy was driving with a very similar trailer setup but SRW pickup. He was slowed down, but when we saw that he dropped it down another 10!

Second one was this past weekend on the Chief Joseph highway going to Cooke (this is where I normally see them flipped). It was also a 4 place aluminum behind a SRW truck. Made me feel less silly about pulling my old 2-place steel framed enclosed that's low to the ground behind my big ol' F-450!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
No pics?!
I don't like to broadcast others' misfortunes quite like that. Would be like pouring salt in a wound if I were in their shoes and saw myself showing up in memes on sled pages. 2nd one I was driving and was worried more about getting us driven around through the ditch than taking pictures. Help was already on scene in both scenarios so I didn't stop.
Inline, deck over or car style full width trailers?
Aluminum frame, deck over, and full width in both I've seen this year.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I see 5 or more a year. I travel all of western SD for my work territory. I usually see them on I-90 near New Underwood when we get a wicked North crosswind. There is usually simi's RV's and few other vehicles in the ditch or flipped on their sides. Last one I saw was a little two place with the clam shell cover that was busted open and he was not hauling anything. I always tell sledding friends if they are coming out to pull off at Wasta and take the 2 lane highway that runs through New Underwood and Box Elder where they are out of the wind.

C
Dec 14, 2020
It's Livingston.

60-80mph gusts are normal.

Few weeks ago the weather said 40mph, gusts to 60mph. My weather meter was recording 85-90mph just off the interstate where they have the detour through town.

2 loaded semi's were tipped over causing the detour.

I've seen vans get pushed up on 2 wheels before.

Weight down low is your friend.

Premium Features